Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Miss Bliss, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Oct 5, 2008

I have a parent that INSISTS that I make special accomodations for her daughter but her daughter does not have an IEP. This child's previous teachers have all urged this parent to get her child tested, and the mother absolutely refuses to do so. Her mom wants me to read all of her tests to her, cut her spelling list in half, and use alternate forms for science and social studies tests. I give this child preferential seating, assist her any time she needs help, and answer all her questions. I want to help this child and make her feel successful without breaking educational laws. I wish this mother would wake up. Any suggestions?

3. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but what type of disability does this mom or teachers thinks she has. In Texas they aer either Special ED or 504. But here is the deal in Elem teachers are more accomodating to learning styles to make sure it is not just learning difference than a LD. So if this mom has alwasy gotten this is, it will be hard on her t o understand that if you do it for one student you must do it for all and that could take too much time. In Texas, if you are caught giving accomodations to an undiagnosed dyslexia or ADHD student, you are out of compliance if you are not offering this accomodation to the rest of the class and you could get in trouble. Now would you really get in trouble for this? NO, but you spending your valuable teaching time to accomodate a student who you "think" might have needs but does not so a student with real needs is loosing out on his or her time with you. In the School districts in my area, a counselor will not even reccomend accomodations to a teacher until you have a diagnosis from a doctor. Many parents will use the " I don't have money to get them tested" Look into yuor district and see what options they have for the parents. There are a lot of districts that have Diags they can reccomend for inexpensive testing and in some situations if the school thinks there is a problem that needs to be addresssed the school will pay for it. I would talk to your SPED Dept. head on options or your school diag, or counselors and just tell them, that this is taking time away from your teaching and if you are suppose to do these things for her you will but if ther eis nothing in place can they step in and tell mom that nothing else will be done until she is tested. You might even get a copy of the "parents Rights Handbooks" for your state, it might be called something else, but usually in that document it will outline how to get special services for the child and all of them will state that they must have an official diagnosis before placement or help can be made.

I hope this makes sense, I am at school now and for some reason if I back space I loose all I have typed so I am just gonna post and hope there are not too many typos or incomplete sentences. :)

4. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

A couple of other reasons why the mother doesn't want her child tested could be A. she doesn't want her child medicated B. she doesn't want this on her child's record I agree that you shouldn't be making special accommodations. In some of the schools I sub in, the teachers might do little things to bring ADD kids back to focus, or use differentiated instruction; really, what you're doing, but more than that is too much to ask of a teacher, and I bet the principal will back you up on that.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

I think I'd simply draw a line in the (metaphorical) sand and tell mom that you will only give accommodations through the official channels. It'll be a pain in the neck until mom gets the point, but it's the only way.

You're already doing everything you can within the capacity of general ed. If she needs anything else, she needs a 504 (or your district's equivalent)

6. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Oct 6, 2008

Thank you all for your input. I forgot to mention the real curve ball in this story.....the mother is a special ed teacher! Therefore, she knows much more about the 504, laws, and accomodations that could be put into place to help her child than the average parent and still refuses! Isn't that something!?!

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

OH. Ouch. Good luck.

8. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

Yea, I have a son with Dyslexia and I try not to be that mom, but then again I push for the school paying for my sons testing since they know their is a problem so I know he can get services.

BUT she is using her knowledge or title to get what she wants and the school is doing it instead of doing the right thing. Unfortunately, I used my Special ed title to get my son tested for dyslexia before the district wanted to. I knew he was dyslexic and they knew he was too but he was getting further and further behind and still wanted to wait another year and I just pulled out the SPecial Ed teacher card and bam he was tested within a month and in a program. I was not rude and try to be so nice to them and not pry into anything they do, which is easy to do since I know nothing about dyslexia. But maybe you could speak to the head of her dept or of SPecial ed and ask what the accomodation rules are for non Special Ed student and then tell mom that or tell the head of SPED about her.

I don't know if that is even possible in your school. In my old school that would have gotten me fired but in my new school that would definately fly.