Suggestions for Read-Aloud (3rd grade)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Kimber16, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Kimber16

Kimber16 New Member

Dec 10, 2005

Hi everyone! I'm a first year teacher with a 2/3 combo, but I only teach 3rd grade reading. We just finished James and the Giant Peach (as a read aloud) and I would love some suggestions on a new book to start. I would like to try a realistic fiction maybe, since the last one was a fantasy. Any ideas?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

Bunnicula, The Secret Garden, Ramona (any), Little House on the Prairie, Shiloh.

Check out www.carolhurst.com and search by grade level.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 10, 2005

Charlotte's Web..... The best of the best.... It is about a spider. Students are learning and don't even know it. Science facts, character inhancement, the students will beg you to read just a little longer. You can find lots of activities to go along with the book (the worksheets make great seat work after they finish their assignments and if they don't get it completed they can take it home and finish the booklet) www.abcteach.com go to themes, next animals, next spiders. They have free stuff and some you have to pay to be a member, but they have lots of great free stuff. Triumpet of the Swan is also good.

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 10, 2005

Many of my third graders have just finished reading Little House on the Prairie on their own and they have loved it. I am reading The Lion the Withch and the Waredrobe right now and they are really into it as well.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 10, 2005

My high level students (those on a 3rd grade level or above) are enjoying anything fantasy right now. The love the Magic Tree House series (which is a G.R. level M), The Boxcar Children (I think level O), A Series of Unfortunate Events, and anything by Beverly Cleary.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2005

Indian in the Cupboard!!! My 3rd grade teacer read that one!!

Miss W,,, LOVE Boxcar kids..good one!!!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 12, 2005

I really got my kids into last year because the dog in the books looks exactly like my dog. They had so much fun comparing them.

9. lazydazy

lazydazy Rookie

Dec 18, 2005

Charlotte's Web is really good! We did an entire unit on spiders while we read the book. So I killed two birds at one time, reading and science!!! There are tons of resources for this one as well.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

A Wrinkle in Time. Stuart Little.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 19, 2005

Time Warp Trio. It's hilarious!!! The kids love it and so do the teachers. I think it's now a Saturday morning cartoon. I can't remember how many books are in the series.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 19, 2005

Ooooh, we loved Knights of the Kitchen Table!

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2005

I am reading the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with my class as well...they really like it since the movie just came out. And I know it sounds a little silly, but I am reading "Sideways Stories from Wayside School" with my homeroom...many of them HATE reading, and I just wanted to get something fun to do before the holiday. They think it is funny, so hopefully it will get them to read something!

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 20, 2005

The Bailey School Kids are also funny.

15. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Dec 28, 2005

One angle you may want to try are picture books with a theme. I did that for the winter holidays when I finished a chapter book. I know in third, we push for chapter books, but there are still soooo many worthwhile picture books to consider. One thing that I do - that keeps me in good with my public library - is visit the new section in the public library and browse through the picture books. It takes me about 30 minutes, and I always get some good selections to read. You can also ask your students. I have one kid - ever since I took his first idea - who keeps giving me books to read to the class!