Suggestions for morning work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by USMCTCHR, Jul 10, 2007.

1. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Hello! I'm a new teacher this year (although I am 33!) I have four kids of my own, so put my career on hold for the past twelve years to be a SAHM.

Anyway, I "think" I will be in a 5th grade classroom in the upcoming school year. Most of the classrooms I have been in do "wake-up" work to start on when they come in the class in the morning.

I don't want to do the same boring thing day after day. (For ex. Paragraph corrections daily). I would love suggestions on what kind of work you have the students do when they come in each morning.

I would like to do something like to write in their journal on Mondays, something else on Tuesdays, etc.

I appreciate any suggestions!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

How about geography and math? There are several teacher resource books that have premade things for kids to do- it's better than recreating the wheel. Maybe you could even add fun riddles or something like that...

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Usually my morning work was a review of concepts we'd recently covered in class. Since I teach 1st grade, it was usually math, social studies, or science. Around holidays and special days (100's day, etc.) I usually had more fun morning work related to that day. There are a ton of mazes, word searches, etc. available online for all sorts of holidays.

Hope that helps!! I've also seen lots of "Daily Review" books when I've been in teacher stores lately. They have them in all grade levels, and a ton of different subjects.

5. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I will also be teaching 5th grade and I intend on having them write a "Word a day" in their morning journals. I found this book called "A Word a day-intermediate" by Evan Moor publishing and it is amazing. The isbn is 1557998701

It has a daily word, definition, part of speech, an example sentence, and a short writing activity pertaining to the word. It would be easy to copy onto transparencies. It would help the students expand their vocabulary and practice their writing skills daily.

6. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Morning work ideas

I taught fifth grade for 8 years. We also did morning work every day to start the day. Here are some ideas:

-editing paragraphs or sentences (repetitive, I know but the kids really need it)
    -journal writing ( I gave the kids a topic every day and once a week they would get a free day to choose their own)
    -silent reading
    -math problem of the day
    -estimation station
    -centers
    -daily vocabulary practice
    -daily geography question
    -Following directions activity (I have a store-bought book for this)
    -simple art activity
    -completing projects/unfinished work ( Have this as a time when children select there own projects to do based on interests)
    -computer time

I would write on the board each morning what the activity for the day was. Students would enter the room, read the board and begin work. A great way for you to have time to do attendance, speak privately with a child etc.

Hope this helps!

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

I have always had the same type of morning activity so that students know what is expected of them. They get right to work and don't spend those precious 15 minutes asking me how to do something. Make is meaningful yet simple enough that they can manage on their own. Have the rules clearly laid out at the beginning and don't change it. Kids actually like routines. Don't worry that they will get bored. You are not there to entertain but to educate, guide, and motivate.

8. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I use the same activities every morning. This year, I think I might change it up a bit...maybe have rotating activities or something. My students do a "Daily Word Problem" because I noticed they needed a great deal of help with multi-step problem solving, we do an editing activity, and also Virginia Studies (our SS curriculum) daily review to keep the concepts fresh in their minds all year. I am considering a journal this year as well....and for students who don't finish the entry in the morning, that can be work for other down-times in the day.