Suggestions for interventions

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SuperFudge, Sep 2, 2010.

1. SuperFudge

SuperFudge Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I need some intervention strategies to use with a child who possibly has asperger's syndrome. He is not formally diagnosed, although his former teachers, his mother, and I are strongly considering testing due to signs. In the meantime, I'm wondering if you could give me some strategies to help me help him. Here's some background.

He is very intelligent and LOVES Sponge Bob, comic strips, and building blocks. He hates writing. When he is asked to write anything, he puts his head on the desk and refuses to write. Today he got into the fetal position when I asked him to read during silent reading time (he wanted to make a comic strip instead so he was upset.) He is very defiant.

Here's what I have tried. Tell me what you think but be gentle with your criticisms, please!!! I need help and I want to help him!

-When he refuses to write, I read him the question. He answers with his head on the desk. As I continue to read on, he picks up his head, grabs the pencil, and eventually begins to write.

-I reward him with stickers for compliance. A few times, he has been extremely difiant, and I have had him change his color on our behavior chart. But then let him to back to green when he has exhibited compliance. (This is where you are going to nail me, huh?)

-I provided him with a class schedule. (Should I laminate it, and put the words "WRITING" in a visa vie marker next to the subjects in which we will be writing each day?)

Any other ideas? I really want to help this student and make school a positive place for him before testing. Thank you.

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 2, 2010

4. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 2, 2010

Why does he refuse to write?

Pain?

Or he doesn't want to?

Positive reinforcement is always a plus.

Perhaps tell him if he does x activity well enough, he will have x minutes to draw, but give him a timer so he will know when his time will run out.

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 2, 2010

How old is he? Does he have fine motor challenges that make writing hard? Is keyboarding an option? Will he write about Spongebob?

6. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 3, 2010

It might help to find books he is interested in. A student with Aspergers that I knew loved Disney books (Hannah Montana, etc.)

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

Can you couple a preferred activity with the non-preferred activity?

"First you write this--Then you get to do ___________"

Visual schedules really help a lot!

8. Toast

Toast Companion

Sep 9, 2010

Hi! I teach 3rd grade and I have 2 kids in my class with autism. One is classified as having Aspergers and the other one is more severe on the spectrum.

They both hate writing..... especially if they have to use any type of creativity( kids with autism really struggle with this). As a reward for writing (or carrying out any task they are not so keen on doing) I place a small tub of playdough on their desk. I tell them "As soon as you have 5 sentences you can play with this for X number of minutes".

Usually it works. The playdough is a nice sensory stimulator to calm their anxieties about writing.

When they are really struggling with ideas I help them brainstorm.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

I just took a PD class on social stories. They are supposed to be highly effective!