Suggestions for Algebra I Games???

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by JustWondering, Aug 14, 2006.

1. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Anyone have any suggestions for Algebra I Math Games other than Integer War and Bingo (Matho). I would like to have a fun activity once a week to break from the lecture then work routine so they don't get bored and might retain more from the games. Thanks in advance!

3. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Yeah that would be cool if anybody has an idea and would like to share. I am trying to make my class a little more fun too.

4. mccafferty

mccafferty Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Math games

I usually play 'I have...Who has...' You can by a book that has the different games in it, or you can make up your own.
    I make up mine. Make up cards, each card has an answer at the top and it says..."I have 5." at the bottom it says..."Who has...give equation" The teacher starts and ends the game with his/her card. Eacher student has a card. Teacher reads off 1st equation with "Who has..." all the students have to do the math to see if their card holds the answer. The student who has the answer says out loud, "I have..." Then reads their equation, "Who has..."
    The kids love this! I think it's the anticipation! :D
    I usually play this as a review game.
    Hope this helps!
    Erin

5. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Aug 14, 2006

have a race to see who can multiply or work a problem the fastest. winner gets a prize.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 14, 2006

Personally, I like "Guess My Rule." You have some function boxes, with the input and output, and students try to guess the rule. After a while, they can make them for each other.

7. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 15, 2006

We played a lot of games in my math class last year. Now keep in mind this was for 7th and 8th grade math but I did play the same games with my Algebra 1 kids this summer and they loved them!

1) Triangles: This is a basic adding game that requires two worksheets. One for you and a set of triangles for the students. You call out the numbers and students add the numbers up to the top of the triangle then once they have their individual triangle 4 players get together to find their "team" answer. The game is played without a calcultor and you can use a program to generate any set of numbers you like. One of my fellow teachers came up with this game, if you want the program and worksheets e-mail me missweldon at gmail.com

2) Math Rummy or Zero students play in a group with one deck of cards without jokers. Red cards negative, black cards positive. Face cards worth 10 points, aces worth 1. Each player has 7 cards in their hands, they draw and discard in turn until they have 3 or more cards that equal 0 that they can then lay down. Once a player has laid down their cards they can play on other players cards as long as it equals 0. When one person is out of cards students total the absolute value of the cards in their hands.

3) Go fish with equalivent fraction

4) Battleship on the coordinate plane

5) At most teacher stores you can find a game called 24 that comes in all sorts of different variety a lot of my students loved that game.

6) Math - Tac - Toe where you create a tic-tac-toe board filled in with various math problems to solve. This also works as a great pre-test.

7) Math Relay. At one end of the room there is a worksheet to solve at the other end of the room is the students in teams lined up. Students walk/run to the other end of the room to work on solving the problem. The rules can be adjusted such as 1) no talking 2) solve any problem....so on. If a student solves a problem wrong, then another student must fix it which takes up their turn.

8) We play a similar relay game with multi-step problems. Students work in smaller teams, often at their table. First student copies the problem from the source (board, overhead, textbook) then pass the paper for the next student to solve. The second student does the first step, then passes the paper. The third student does the second step, then passes the paper, which continues until the problem is solved.

9) A fun game to play is petals around the rose (google the game) the only problem is you can only play it once a year. If your observe very well they will solve it in no time. Sometimes the student who struggles the most is the one to solve it first.

I think that's about all I got but that should give you a really great start! Good Luck!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for a really terrific post, Goober! What a great way to introduce yourself to A to Z!

9. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 16, 2006

Wow! Thank you Goober for the multiple ideas!!! Thank you mccaferty, scienceteach50, and rainstorm for your suggestion too! They are great ideas.