Suggestions for a new team leader

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by stac4742, Jul 14, 2008.

1. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Hello!
    This upcoming school year, I will be the new 4th grade team leader. I am really looking forward to it because last year we really needed to be a cohesive team, and I feel like this year I can help make that happen. I'm not going to let the leadership role go to my head, but there are some things that I want to be firm about...
    In meetings, no complaining and whining and wasting time. But allowing everyone to share their thoughts and ideas and give 2 minutes to each person to vent and get things off their chest first, that way we can get down to business with planning. I plan to have snacks for every or most team meetings or little candies, communicate with all team members via e-mail, phone or old fashioned notes :) I also would like for us to eat lunch together at least one day a week.

Can you offer anymore suggestions to make us a more fun and cohesive 4th grade team for next year? What are some characteristics of a great team leader? What did your team do last year that was really cool? Thanks so much in advance!!!
    :love:

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

Keep the meetings on time, that is start and stop at the appointed times. There is nothing that irritates me more than getting to a meeting on time and having to wait 10 or more minutes for others to arrive. Start without them. There should be a definite agenda or time frame for the meeting. That way everyone knows what needs to be done and when the meeting is going to end.

4. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Oh,I totally agree. I already have the set-agenda with time frames, and I have a timer too to make sure we do not get off-focus. Yes, it is quite frustrating to try and do a meeting when people are late. And the funny thing is, I was always one of the stragglers coming in a little late, not purposely, but this year, I have to be on time!! Thanks again for replying!!!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I think everyone said what I was going to say-- start and end on time and stick to the agenda-- Don't get side tracked...

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Can you let the team know ahead of time what the topics will be at the meeting? That would be helpful so they can think ahead.

I would plan a fun get-together before school starts, or something after the first few weeks.