suggesting adhd to a parent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacheroo, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Sep 11, 2008

I have a girl in my class (6th grade) who is driving me absolutely nuts. I usually deal well with adhd in my classes. I usually seat them in the back or close to me and don't mind if they need to stand up to work. By this age, its usually been diagnosed and the kids are learning to work with it. But this year, I have a girl who cannot control herself. She is always the last one through a transition, usually cannot get herself together with out me reminding her and then she drags her feet on it. She has to constantly be rocking in her chair. pokes and prods her neighbors. plays with anything she can put her hands on. has loads of missing assignments because she can't focus long enough to work. on top of all of this, she becomes very obstinate and defiant at times. She won't do things because she "doesn't feel like it." i read her old report card comments and all the teachers mention the focus issue, but nothing has ever been done about it. I have called the parents and talked to them about signing papers that go home and there was really no response. It still took a week to get them back.
    I requested a conference and supposedly they will come tomorrow afternoon, but again, I haven't gotten my slip back. If the parents do show up, I would really like to suggest getting her tested, but I'm unsure of how to bring it up. As a 6th grade teacher, I haven't had to bring it up. Any suggestions for how to talk to parents about this?

3. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Sep 11, 2008

:rolleyes: seems like others are having the same day as me...i just read the other thread on adhd. :lol:

4. mrsdong

mrsdong Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

It looks like the parents have problems too.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

Well, one thing you can't do is actually suggest that the child might have adhd. You can dance around the subject, but you can't acutally say that you think the child might have a medical problem. That's "playing doctor" and could get you in an awful lot of hot water. For tomorrow's confrence, I would put the ball in the parent's court. Simply and matter of factly lay out the issues you are having with this child. Ask the parents to help you come up with a solution that will help their child succeed. Ask them how THEY handle any similar situations that might come up at home. You also might be able to ask if there are any medical concerns you should know about (but I'd be really really really careful on how that's phrased).

Document EVERYTHING with this child and bring your documentation to the school counselor. That would be the person who could suggest testing to the parents.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 11, 2008

I wouldn't suggest to the parents that their child has ADHD. You aren't a doctor or a medical professional.

I would spell out the behaviors that you see, and how it is keeping the child from succeeding academically. I'd ask them what they suggest, and then just listen. If they bring it up, I'd see nothing wrong with mentioning that you see behaviors with their child that you have noticed with other children who have ADHD, and then ask what they think, but that is as far as I would go, and I would let them lead the way.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

Ask the parent, "Has your child's prediatrician shown any concerns about her overactive behavior and difficulty maintaining her attention span?" THAT might be the better way to go... or something to that tune.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2008

Are you relying on the child to give the slip to her parents? Unless the parents rifle through her backpack every night, it's probably not going to happen.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2008

You mean, not every parent does this?

I do. But some parents may need a nudge to start rifling through their kids' backpacks.

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I know in Texas, which I am sure it is the same in other states, it is illegal for us to suggest that a child has ADHD. I would talk to the nurse about the situation and she can talk to the parents about it. Maybe the nurse can even come to the conference.

11. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Be careful about that. As others have suggested, you can't give medical advice.

As a parent, I was LIVID, FURIOUS two years ago when a teacher wrote my son was having trouble in class,and then I called right away to set up a conference, and she said she wanted to talk to the NURSE before talking to me. WHAT??? If she had problems, she could go to his speech pathologist, last year's teacher, or me - not the nurse. I was immediately on the defensive with her, and when I went in to talk to her, I told her flat-out: "He does not have ADD or ADHD, and we will not mention those at all here. Do you understand?"

By the way, we'd already had him checked for it by his doctor and he did not have it.

So stay away from any medical terminology. Mention she's unfocused and fidgety and the parent will get what you're getting at but won't feel you're overstepping your bounds.

12. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Please see my post below - I won't speak for all parents but I was highly upset when a teacher wanted to talk to a nurse about my son's behavior issues.

13. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

You might not have liked it, but by law I am not allowed to suggest it. If I feel like that is the problem then I am going to do my best to see if it is. The nurse is there to help the students as well. I see nothing wrong with talking to the nurse. We have a WONDERFUL nurse and she is very knowledgable. That is what we are encouraged to do and that's what I will continue to do. I have never had a parent upset at me. I am not trying to start debate, but in some situations our hands are tied.

14. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Mention the behavior... it is not your place to suggest them to even get tested... that will be the very last resort... if you find some methods with the parents and they still do not work... try getting administration and other teachers mixed in... art... PE... music.... do they have the same problems? How does she learn best... even ask one of your Special Education teachers for methods they use with ADHD students... maybe they will work for her... and maybe during this process the parents will have her checked out.
    You could also ask about hearing problems if she is having trouble paying attention while you are speaking to the class... have they had her hearing checked out... this may lead to other useful information...