Suggest a funny book!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Nov 17, 2009

I want to read a book to my child's second grade class, but I need to come up with a good book. I'd like something sort of funny or cute, and maybe not something they've already read themselves. Any suggestions?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 17, 2009

I love Robert Munsch books... apart from Love You Forever and The Lighthouse, his books are very funny and silly.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2009

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon might be a little young. It's a funny/cute picture book. But has a lesson about being who you are. The pictures are cute & colorful. She balances pennies on her teeth.

5. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Nov 17, 2009

My own 3rd and 5th grader love when I read Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems. I really scream and cry like an upset little girl and they just crack up laughing. Now when one of them gets upset we imitate the girl from Knuffle Bunny, laugh, and then move on!

6. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Nov 17, 2009

anything from the Mr. Men series

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 17, 2009

I really like A Bad Case of Stripes... the basic plot is that the main character pretends that she doesn't like lima beans (I think) just because no one else likes it either... she wakes up and has striped skin, and then polka dots, then other kinds of things. Of course it ends up being bad (the teacher calls her a distraction, she can't do the things she wants to do, etc)... and only gets resolved when she asks for the lima beans and admits she likes them... so she learns to be herself, not what everyone else watns her to be. It's one of those great picture books that you can enjoy on a totally different level depending on age.

Edit that it's funny but also has a good message. I've never read it to a group of kids that didn't laugh hysterically :)

8. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Nov 17, 2009

I love Stephanie's Ponytail and Thomas' Snowsuit by Munsch. My third graders loved his books.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009

The Wayside School books! :)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 17, 2009

I was thinking of the same title!! I'm sure I'll have more after I look through the collection tonight....

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2009

Read the first chapter from 'Clementine'. They'll be hooked.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 17, 2009

Rotten Teeth.
    I have no idea who wrote it, but I just about wet myself the first time I read it. I was laughing that hard.

13. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 17, 2009

Any of his books are great. My class loves Stephanie's Ponytail.

14. prek176

prek176 Companion

Nov 18, 2009

My 1st graders absolutely loved Pog by Peter Haswell. (You can find a detailed description on Barnes and Noble) The gist of it is that it is the story of a little pig named Pog who does and says some very silly things. The book has several short stories which make it a quick read. The favorite story was the little pig painted everything red in the room and I mean everything. At the end he asks why did I do that? I don't like red! The kids thought this was the funniest thing. This is an older book (1989) and the pictures are basic but the words are priceless! The kids asked me to read it again!

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 18, 2009

There has been some good suggestions here, but I like the lady who swallowed a fly...My suggustion would be to make the story time fun by changing your voice to fit the diff. charactors.

16. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

Scaredy Squirrel by: Melanie Watt
    Really cute and funny book about a squirrel who is a control freak and scared of everything, never venturing out of his tree until one day a 'killer bee' attacks and forces change. I was laughing out loud so I'm sure kids would be too! This is the first book about Scaredy Squirrel but there are several other sequels so if the kids like this one they could read more of his adventures!

17. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Nov 19, 2009

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of the suggestions! I actually chose a book called Dirt Boy after one of my own third graders read it to me after school. It was about a little boy who didn't like to take a bath after playing in the dirt. He runs away from his clean mom and meets up with Dirt Man who hasn't had a bath in over a thousand years. It was sufficiently gross for a while which really captured their attention. Of course he goes home and gets a bath finally, so it has a great ending! Now I'm going to find these great books you all suggested and read them to MY class!