Sudden need for leave: FMLA, classroom management and such

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 4, 2017

My daughter is in the hospital with bacterial meningitis, likely heading home tomorrow. We have a few weeks of follow-up care, and I'm looking at taking some FMLA. This is pretty darn sudden, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with giving short-notice FMLA.

Also, suggestions on planning for behavior management when the kids have little warning I'm out?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 4, 2017

Concerning classroom management, I'd think the biggest factor would be fear and a sense of loss. Perhaps writing cards to your class would be comforting and helpful; and maybe they will construct cards to send to you and your daughter, too.

smalltowngal and Backroads like this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 4, 2017

I wish you all the best for your daughter's recovery. She will need you to be with her and I don't think you should worry about anything else.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 4, 2017

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter! I agree with Upsadaisy that you should focus on her and not worry about your class as much as possible. I know that's easier said than done!

Backroads likes this.
  6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2017

Classroom mgt is up to your sub ....focus on your daughter. Be well...

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 5, 2017

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your daughter. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Backroads likes this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2017

Are you required to send in plans while you are out on leave? If so, plan on getting them there early enough that the sub has plenty of time to prepare. If not, perhaps you could send in a pacing guide to assist the sub in keeping up so they aren't behind when you come back.

Other than that, like the others have said, concentrate on getting your daughter healthy.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 5, 2017

I like to think my curriculum has enough rythym to be easy to make plans for or a pacing guide, which is requested if I am able to swing it.

We have conferences next week, but I swear, everytime those roll around one teacher or another has some disaster going on and the school.simply informs that class conferences will be scheduled later.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 6, 2017

Thanks, everyone. I actually am at school today (Husband is at home, but leaves on business in a couple of days) and we're getting everything in order.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2017

My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and you!

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 6, 2017

Thanks! I'm prepping my homework letter. I'll be out for a total of 4 days.

Should I mention "family situation" or leave it be?

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Feb 6, 2017

If you are only going to be out 4 days, I wouldn't send a letter home. Also, how much you share about a personal situation is totally up to you.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 6, 2017

Backroads, I am so sorry about your daughter, but glad she is coming home, or is home. Take your leave without a backward's glance. You didn't see this coming, and that is precisely what FMLA is for. Your sub will follow your lead, and your students will appreciate you all the more when you get back. Life is disorganized at time, so all we can do is focus on our top priorities and hope for the best. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery for your daughter, which I am sure would ease your mind.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2017

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. Back in October my Mom was found unresponsive and was in the hospital for over 3 weeks. Torn between my kids and my mother was an awful feeling because we had no clue how long my Mom would be needding me to be with her. Fortunately I use classdojo and I was able to communicate with my parents so that they could communicate with their children that I wasnt gone forever just needed to spend time with my Mom. I had wonderful coworkers who took over for me and I had a great sub and I had him the whole time which did help tremendously that it was the same person everyday. It was a crazy time but do what you need to do. Your class will survive without you.