Sudden increase in job availability?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by elvissa, May 8, 2009.

1. elvissa

elvissa Rookie

May 8, 2009

I've been subbing in my district since January, and it's been a fight tooth and nail to get jobs. If I got two days a week, I felt lucky.

All of a sudden, this week there are jobs and jobs and jobs available any time I log into Subfinder. (Of course, it's a week that I don't have any days available to sub. Go figure.)

Does anyone have any ideas on why this week would all of a sudden become such an easy week to get jobs? I'll be very interested to see if next week has the same pattern-- especially as next week I can work for a few days.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 8, 2009

May is usually a busy month for subbing because teachers are using up their personal (and sick) days that they have left for the school year.

4. elvissa

elvissa Rookie

May 8, 2009

Ahhhh! That makes sense!

It also means that I should be able to pick up several days next week when I have availability. Woohoo!!!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 8, 2009

I know some teachers do what GlendaLL said in post #2. I try to save them if I can because they roll over to the next year. Unfortunatly, I've been really sick so far this month and have had to a day. Now I have to take at least 2 more days for Dr.'s appointments.
    Some schools won't let their teachers take off the last week or two, so they're trying to get their days in before that deadline.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 8, 2009

Yep, this is what I was going to say.

I don't use my sick days because they roll over if I don't. I do use my personal days, though, because those are sort of "use them or lose them".... I hang onto them as long as I can during the year and then take the leftover days during May.

7. azure

azure Companion

May 20, 2009

My district has actually been running out of subs a few times in the last couple of weeks. I was kind of surprised because with the poor economy, they had a lot more applying, to the point that they cut off applications. So I figured they had plenty. I'm wondering if some of those who signed up have figured out that it's harder than it looks or harder than they thought, and are deciding, "This is not for me."

8. tsol

tsol Rookie

May 24, 2009

I worked one huge HALF day last month and half of it went to teacher association dues! But thankfully I have been working every day this last pay period. I know that the Kindergarten teachers have to do end of the year testing and a lot of other stuff for which I happily take over. This is it for this school year.

9. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

May 26, 2009

That could also be a factor. In one school district I sub for, they were getting a lot of applicants when I applied with them back in February. But it seems now more than ever, although there is only 9 more days of school left, that the school district has at least 10 or so sub jobs available and some of those go unfilled.

I also think that school districts might weed out the bad subs that don't do a good job, like getting on their cell phones, sit and do nothing, etc. That might be another reason you might be getting more calls.

That and teachers trying to use up days too.