Such a great day!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsTeacher2Be, Oct 17, 2008.

1. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 17, 2008

As some of you know, I just got hired for my first teaching position. I start on Monday and went in today to meet the teacher who's leaving and do a few other things. I've been completely scared to death since the P called and offered me the job, but I feel SO much better today. My dept. chair is great and really helpful, and so is the rest of the faculty that I met. I met some of my kids and they were a little hyper, but that's to be expected because it was right before a pep rally and their teacher's last day and there was somebody new in the room, but all in all, they were really well behaved. Plus, every room has a Smart Board, so that's exciting. I have to share my room one period, which kinda stinks, but oh well. I'm still a little spastic because my dept. chair is going to come in and observe me on MONDAY, my first day, and according to my pacing guide I need to cover 3 sections that day :eek: but I guess I'll find a way to make it work. I'm SO excited about Monday, I'm sitting here at 8:30 on a Friday night about to do lesson plans :lol:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2008

What topics are you covering? Maybe we can help!

And don't worry about the chair. He's looking for ways to help you, as well as to help set the tone with the kids that first day.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

Ditto what Alice said.

A new job is always scary...you'll be just fine :)

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

Congrats Mrs. you'll be in my thoughts on Monday! Have a great day!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2008

That sounds great! I would love to have a SmartBoard! What are the three sections that you have to cover? Do they pretty much go together? Good luck on Monday!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2008

Hey, good luck! It sounds like you are working at a school where they will provide lots of help and assistance if you need it. Good luck on Monday!

8. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 17, 2008

Oh he made sure I knew that he's only trying to help, and he's being really supportive so I'm not really worried per se, just the usual nerves :)

All week I'm covering formulas, and I'm supposed to review on Thursday and test on Friday (whole department does this to stay together). That leaves 3 days for 8 sections, so I'm breaking it down like this:
    Monday - (1)perimeter & circumference, (2)area & surface area, and (3)volume
    Tuesday - (4)square root applications in geometry word problems, and (5) using the Pythagorean Theorem
    Wednesday - (6) Rearranging formulas, (7) rearranging variables in word problems, and (8) rearranging formulas to solve word problems

This schedule is do-able right? This is the plan that made the most sense to me, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. We have 95 minute periods, so hopefully it won't be too much, and if it is we can always spend some extra time on something during review day since. Oh and all of our tests are supposed to be cumulative, so on Thursdays we review more than just what we learned that week.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2008

WOW-- that's a LOT of content for one week!!!

The formulas should be no big deal. Lots of kids have a problem confusing area and circumference of a circle, so be careful there. (the one that's measured in SQUARE units has the r-SQUARED if that helps at all.) Make sure they realize that they'll need to memorize the formulas.

Tuesday. For Pythagorean Theorem, be sure they realize that the C value MUST be the hypotenuse, and that it's the side across from the right angle. The A and B values are interchangeable. Also, you may want to start off with a Pythagorean Triple, say the 3-4-5, then try legs of 4 and 5. The kids will expect the hypotenuse to be 6, and you can show why the triples are just some very special groups of numbers.

Wednesday: that sounds like a lot of info, but maybe I'm reading more into it than there actually is.

And I love the idea of cumulative tests. Funny story: I was out of school for a month, following surgery, and another teacher covered my classes. I returned Tuesday, and yesterday gave my first test. With 10 minutes left, one of my slower kids called me over. He explained that he had been at the nurse on Wednesday when I went over equations. I explained that he had spent several weeks going over them with the sub. His reaction: "Oh, we can use stuff HE taught us too???" Too funny!

10. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 18, 2008

That's so cute!

Thanks for all of the advice! It is a lot of stuff, but I'll find a way through it. Right now my plan is to get through as much as I can and stop when there's 20 or 30 minutes left in the block so that they can start their homework with me there to answer questions. If we don't finish we'll just use some time on review day.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 19, 2008

Congrats and good luck!!!

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2008

Congrats on the new job! It does sound like a lot of info., but when I spend 2 weeks blending /a/ with a consonant, a lot of upper grades sound too advanced for me! :) Good luck tomorrow, I'm glad that you have a supportive dept. chair and the kids seem good. Keep us updated!