Success story (brochure)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ayla, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ayla

ayla Companion

Nov 23, 2011

This is just another reason to make a brochure:

I am a first year teacher who successfully landed a job in July. The other day I was having a fake/silly debate with my principal. He shot back to me, "But it was on your brochure!!"

Best evidence... Brochures are memorable!! MAKE ONE!!!

DressageLady likes this.
  3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 23, 2011

Great post. Glad to see direct evidence that this works! I had no doubt. Your post may be the answer someone is looking for to give them an edge.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 23, 2011

I have also suggested a brochure to persons looking for a teaching position. This is so much more practical for the interviewer to assess rather than a portfolio that usually gets a quick look over. Do it! It really does make a BIG difference!

5. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Nov 23, 2011

what would you suggest for someone who never has had a classroom? Could I make one with stock photos?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 23, 2011

I wouldn't think you'd need photos to have a successful brochure.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2011

I wouldn't.

As an interviewer, I would wonder what else is "stock."

You can use clipart, a variety of fonts and colors.

The point is to showcase what makes you special and memorable. You don't need photos (particularly of kids you haven't taught) to do that.

8. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Nov 24, 2011

Thanks!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2011

Now that I officially have my science credential, I plan to start looking for real teaching jobs in the spring.

So, I guess I will have to start on mine! :)

So, what does one include in a brochure (don't mean to hijack!)?

10. ayla

ayla Companion

Nov 25, 2011

I used a template from microsoft word. The pictures I had on my brochure were of me since I am a first year teacher.

My brochure was a 6 panel and included:
    1. Front panel with a picture of me, my name, and my certifications
    2&3. Double-panel in the middle that had my favorite lessons I had taught during practicum experiences in each subject.
    4. FAQ about certifications and tests (my state has a lot of specific tests to pass to get certified), student teaching, etc etc. Facts you know the interviewers would ask about (totally hilarious in interviews saying, well as I have on my brochure... Or they were reading the brochure while I was answering and they would comment on it matching my answer).
    5. Philosophy of teaching/why I want to be a teacher (asked about a lot actually! A good thing to have an answer to in an interview).
    6. About me panel (this got lots of good comments!) with another picture of me... Some of my interests, where I grew up, and some activities I did during college. My current P and I share sports interest but different teams, and we joked about this in the interview. Also had my contact information at the bottom of this panel.

I also printed it on photo paper and apparently this made a huge difference to interviewers (they kept asking me how I did it). The spacing and colors looked great thanks to that MS Word template.

Really in the end it comes down to how well you mesh, though. I had one P I knew immediately I did not mesh with, and he barely even looked at my brochure. Compare that to this P who hired me where we clearly share easy-going personalities.

11. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Nov 27, 2011

I would recommend Vistaprint to do your brochure...they have a variety of backgrounds and themes available, and the brochures are fairly inexpensive. You can get 25 for free usually (and just pay shipping) or they have sets of 50 or 100 that are usually between 50-75 cents a piece. They look completely professional (glossy and everything) like you would pick up at a business or something. I had several people comment on mine and I think it really impressed them during interviews. Plus, brochures are a great way to let a little of your personality shine through...my brochure had an orange background on it and I used white and pink lettering...it still looked professional, but livened up my cream cover letter and resume when I sent out packets.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2011

Thanks, Hope. I will definitely look into Vista Print. I like this route as it would save money on printer ink (which is not cheap!) and fancy paper.

Can you also share what you included on your brochure?

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 28, 2011

You have a science credential? Weren't you in/near my district for a year or two? I think having a science credential should definitely make you more marketable (as opposed to having a multiple subjects credential).

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2011

Perhaps? Haha, I know there was a member on here who taught in my district.... was that you? I have a bad memory. Central valley? I moved since then and live in the central coast now. I'm hoping that there will be job openings next year.

15. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

I don't have a copy with me, but I think this is pretty much how it went...

Front Cover - picture of me from a summer program I worked at & all my contact info
    Inside - credentials, old field placements and student teaching placement, other experience, *brief* philosophy of education, how I'll communicate with parents, and how I've used technology
    Back Cover (Center) - snippets of letters of recommendation...I used the quotes to highlight different skills like classroom management, connecting with students, teaching to accommodate different learning styles, etc.
    "Back Left" (The flap you see as you're opening it up) - personal info about me...some serious and "teacher" things, but also some "down to earth" things that help them know me as a real person.

Hope this helps!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2011

17. caliteach

caliteach Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

I know this posting is over a year old, but could one of you please send me a sample of your brochure to missvdh@yahoo.com

Thanks!

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 7, 2012

I used a brochure for the first time and the three people in my interview seemed to like it.

19. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jun 18, 2012

I am also looking for a brochure example if someone could e-mail theirs to me!!

jamieblack11 @ hotmail

20. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

It might be a good idea to take your email off the site....we try to stay away from posting any identifying info!

21. Track70

Track70 New Member

Feb 4, 2016

I've found that Lucidpress is a really useful tool. As the classroom moves more and more to digital content, it becomes more and more important for schools to hire teachers who are on the edge with technology. Even something as simple as making an online brochure could really impress others. You can teach your students to do the same as well. Lucidpress has free educational accounts and its awesome!

22. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 4, 2016

I am glad this thread got bumped up. I joined this site a coupe months ago and I would have never read this old thread. This brochure thing is a great idea!! I don't think I want my face on it though.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 12, 2016

I took one to my recent interview and was offered a job on the spot.

That probably wasn't the reason I was offered the job, but it didn't hurt!

24. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 13, 2016

Great news, where in TX are you again? I think we messaged each other before, I am in San Antonio. I made one and made 25 copies. They are so pretty with great reading and writing strategies . I can't wait to actually bring one to an interview, and show them off. :p

25. Inder Meet

Inder Meet Guest

Oct 12, 2016

You can easily design brochure if you have sound knowledge of Photoshop. The easiest way of designing the brochure is by taking 3-4 references and then taking an Idea for your own brochure. You may also contact with Eonian Brand Ideas India for any kind of consultant regarding Brochure Design.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2016

When are you going to be applying for teaching jobs? In other threads you have talked about not leaving because you have tenure and make a good income. Are you planning on not moving to the other school?