Success For All

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jdawn, Nov 18, 2008.

1. jdawn

jdawn New Member

Nov 18, 2008

1. Do any of you use or have any of you used the Success For All guided reading program?
    2. What are some pros you saw in this program?
    3. What are some cons of the program?
    4. Overall, how did you feel about this program?
    5. Would you recommend it for an elementary school whose district goal is to get all the students to grade level within the next 5 years?
    6. If not, what other programs would you recommend?

3. missalli

missalli Companion

Nov 19, 2008

The school I used to teach at used SFA and generally I liked it. The pros are that the students are put into reading groups based on their reading ability, rather just their grade level. That allows the teacher to focus on the skills that those particular students need. The cons are that it requires a lot of pre and post testing (we did it every 8 weeks... tested them and then decided if a student should go down or up a level, or stay the same), it's kind of repetitive, and you effectively have a different group of students for reading than you do for the rest of the day. That said, my old school made a lot of progress using SFA and 90% of the teachers were happy with it.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2008

Well our district used SFA for seven years prior to this year. FastTrack Phonics is a wonderful program. The students achieved great success with this component. I think most of the teachers in our district are happy to have another program in place. IMHO, I do not think this is the plan to adopt to achieve your goal. I don't have a program to recommend because I have only taught SFA and this year Harcourt Storytown which I prefer. I guess a veteran teacher may be able to recommend a program to you.