SUCCESS CONTACTING PRINCIPAL'S VIA EMAIL

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by colie, May 14, 2008.

1. colie

colie Companion

May 14, 2008

In my area, principals' will not accept paper applications or phone calls. Principals' will accept online applications though, if fact this is the only form of communication they will accept.

My question is who has had luck with contacting principals' via email? Most importantly how did you do this? Did you send a nice email that would tell them everything they want to hear (kiss ass a bit). Are people sending cover letters or resumes in the body of their email, perhaps as a text only document so that the formatting is not lost?

Since this is the only way I can contact principal's, I am wondering what is the best method to go about it. If I wait for them to contact me then I might as well change my career. The odds are so slim as teaching is soo competitive in my area.

Thank you for reading this and hopefully suggesting ways to make my application stand out from the rest! Thank you!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2008

Out of the 10 or so principals I've emailed, I have heard back from 2. One I ended up interviewing with, and will find out whether or not I have the job.

In the email, I just express my interest in the position, list my certification, give some experience background, and attach my cover letter (personalized) and resume.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 14, 2008

I email...only gotten a few people contacting me back

5. colie

colie Companion

May 14, 2008

okay thank you stg! I have emailed a few principals some respond and some do not. I was sending the same type of email. I stopped emailing a bit because I was busy finishing up the semester in grad school. I will get back at it though in the next week. I'll post what kind of response I get and what method seems to be the most effective.

6. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 14, 2008

I emailed have not had any luck emailing. However, I was told to only send the cover letter and resume through a PDF file. I think Adam Waxler mentioned that. I did have luck emailing and asking for a tour of their school though. I am not from your area and most districts here require an online application process and packets to be sent in. Good luck!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2008

I just sent an email to a principal of a charter school because the site requests that she receive the information directly. Otherwise, I tend to track down his or her secretary and send emails in their direction.