Substitution in Ohio

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by cafekarma, May 13, 2014.

1. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 13, 2014

Hi, everybody! I'm headed back to the US in July and am knee-deep in the process (and stress!) of finding a home for myself when I return. I understand that most of Ohio is currently over-saturated with teachers, but that is where I would like to live because my sister is there. I'm ready to be near family again. So, I would love to live in Columbus or Cincinnati. I have been considering working as a substitute while working on my masters degree. Then I would work my teaching magic in hopes of eventually gaining a full-time contract. My degree is k-k. I'm single, so this would be my only income. My question is this: would it be possible to work as a substitute in the districts surrounding either of these two cities and still be able to feed myself? I want to decide now whether moving to Ohio is worth the gamble, or if I should stick with the plan of moving to North Carolina, which has a greater need to teachers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

May 13, 2014

I live near Cincinnati and we have a sub shortage. However, I know the pay has decreased in the last several years. :(

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 13, 2014

I subbed in the Columbus area for several years and enjoyed it. One of the best places to start, should you come to the center of the state, is the Educational Service Center. They provide subbing for several districts in Franklin County. Columbus City Schools has their own substitute program.

5. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 13, 2014

Great information! Thank you both. Would it be possible to work though more than one substitute program to make sure that I get as much work as possible?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 13, 2014

I certainly did. The ESC was online through AESOP, and I had it set not to auto-call me. That way, I could accept live calls from other districts that I preferred. I didn't sub in the city, so I'm unsure of their protocol.

7. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

May 13, 2014

Make sure to ask about limits on the number of days you can work in each district. My district limits the number of days that can be worked because of the health care law.

8. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 14, 2014

Thanks, Kelster95. I never would have thought about limits.

Catnfiddle, that's a great tip. Thanks! If this is the plan I go with, I might be back with more questions.

9. Cinderfella

Cinderfella Rookie

May 15, 2014

I sub in Cincinnati and many of the school districts have moved towards a service. (37 school districts) The sub pay has been cut drastically because of this. Do I think you could feed yourself? The pay is $75-$85/day. I don't think you could support yourself but it may be a little extra money. Although working at a fast food joint might pay about the same.

10. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 16, 2014

Thank you for the feedback, Cinderfella. That pay sounds pretty depressing. I would have to take out loans or get a second job. Is it at least possible to get work most days of the week?

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 16, 2014

I'm originally from Cincinnati :). I moved because of the shortage of jobs. My dad works in what is considered one of the "better" districts in the area and they will routinely get 5,000 applicants for jobs. They have a waiting list for subs, as does the district I grew up in. My dad says they actually do have a hard time getting subs to come in sometimes, but the district refuses to hire more. I have no clue where that logic comes from. My mom has been subbing because her school closed (private school, ran out of money), and she is able to work in my dad's district pretty regularly because she used him to get in. It's definitely not enough pay to live on. My friends that sub in the area have to still live with their parents. Is staying with your sister for awhile an option? I think the market is better in rural areas of the state- you could look at getting something that was at least a reasonable drive to Cincicnnati or Columbus. Another option is to look into Kentucky. From what I've heard, the pay is lower but the market is MUCH better. I had a couple of friends who found jobs pretty easily there after graduation- some are even so close that they're able to live on the Cincinnati side of the river and it's just an easy commute across the bridge to KY for work.

12. Cinderfella

Cinderfella Rookie

May 16, 2014

The school district that I sub in is joining the service this August so I do not have first hand experience. I limit myself to one school district and I sub at least 3 days a week and at times can do more. But some jobs go very quick and I have found that I have done best using a service such as jobulator.

13. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 17, 2014

Thank you for the feedback, waterfall. 5,000 applicants?! Okay, that number will stick with me. I wouldn't need to work in a highly-desirable district, but that number is still high enough to scare me out of this plan altogether since I would be aiming for an eventual full-time position.

The idea of getting hired across the bridge and living in the city is appealing. Even though driving over that bridge is slightly terrifying. :eek: It seems like the competition would be equally tough across the bridge, too. 4,999 people will still be out there looking for work. Surely most of them would think to apply on the other side of the bridge. I'm going to research KY licensure today. I couldn't live there, though. Cincinnati is already a bit too conservative for me. It's definitely worth some consideration, though!

I could stay in my aunt's guest house for awhile, but my cat would have to stay at my sister's place. My sister wouldn't be able to take her for too long, so this situation would be very temporary.

14. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 17, 2014

Okay, I'm looking at jobulator right now. That's a great tip. Thank you!

15. Cinderfella

Cinderfella Rookie

May 17, 2014

Some school district systems do not support jobulater. Not sure how it will work with the sub service. Also look at Sub Assistant and there are some other ones out there that I can't remember their names.

You made me smile about the conservative Cincinnati comment. I was raised here but have lived in PA, TX, and FL and now back home, I so can relate to your comment. And you are right, Kentucky is so much more conservative. I tend to be more liberal :)

16. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 17, 2014

The job search would be a breeze if I could feel at home in a small conservative town. I think most states have a more liberal pocket somewhere. All of the states you mentioned living have at least one. Maybe Kentucky has one? I hope you're happier now being back home, Cinderfella.

17. Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus Rookie

May 19, 2014

Hey,

I'm going to chime in and say N.C. would be a safer move. I am located in Ohio and live about an hour from Columbus. It's mostly rural out here, so I can sub everyday, but pay is low. Wages for the state seem to be low for subs, but there isn't a high cost of living in most of Ohio either. I make about 12$/hour as a sub at the rural districts surrounding me. I'm married so not sure about living off that. I think it's possible if you work full time, don't have a lot of financial obligations (car payment, loans, etc) and live in a rent-conservative area. It'd be hard because there's no guarantee you'd get called everyday or even a couple days.

I have a friend that moved to N.C. and got a job right away. She loves it there. I am unable to move since hubby's career is here, but I definitely would consider it. Ohio is very saturated. This cycle, I've only been eligible to apply to about 5 positions in about a hour radius from my home with my middle ed. license. It seems similar for elementary and high school. Even the grade F district of Toledo has hundreds of applicants for many jobs (and a high turnover rate, as expected).

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you. I think you could sub in area and live here if you like it while you do your master's, but I would strongly consider relocating once it's time for jobs. It's difficult to find open positions here, and they typically have 500+ applicants (as reported by H.R. officials from surrounding districts who visit us).

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 19, 2014

Our subs make $75 a day and we have a hard time finding subs. I'm 45 minutes outside of Columbus. We don't get nearly as many applicants though. I think recently we got just under 100 for a posting we had.

19. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 19, 2014

I lived and worked in Cincinnati for awhile. I think it would be hard to get by on what they pay subs in that area by itself. K-K - is that Kindergarten certification? You want to be sure to get Ohio certification ASAP as well as they won't even look at you without it - at least not in my experience! Good luck:)

20. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 20, 2014

This is helpful information. Thank you for chiming in. I've already sent my information to the NC licensing office and have applied to probably 50 postings within an hour of Durham so far. I'm going to take your advice and focus more heavily on my search there and maybe branch out and apply near Charlotte as well. If I don't get hired in NC, then I'll probably stick around Ohio and substitute while I work out a new plan. I could work part-time in my aunt's office for awhile, too.

Best of luck to you, too! Hopefully you'll be able to find more job postings soon.

21. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 20, 2014

It's interesting that with all of the competition for teaching positions, there aren't more subs in your district. Even with pay that low, I would think that hopeful teachers would use substitution as a way to make contacts within the district. I almost feel like I could have a shot at a job that had 100 other applicants. Or then again, maybe I just think that because the other numbers I've seen have been so outrageous. :eek:hmy:

22. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 20, 2014

k-k was a typo. I'm certified to teach k-5. Earlier this year I started working through the license application process, but I stopped when the doubts started rolling in. I have to carefully plan out where I'm spending the money I've saved, and the odds of getting a full-time teaching position look very slim. If I end up in Ohio, then I'll get back to work on the license. Thanks for the advice.

23. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 29, 2014

I live near Cleveland and the big sub staffing system here is Renhill Staffing. I know the company covers all northern Ohio. Not sure how far south.