Substitutes Experiences with Interviews

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by nathanlindberg, Aug 15, 2006.

1. nathanlindberg

nathanlindberg New Member

Aug 15, 2006

Hello all,

I am currently a member of the board of directors for a school district in Pennsylvania. I would like to hear common issues that subs face in trying to obtain employment. Is there favoritism given to people based on who they are or who they know? Are you oftentimes passed up for employment for candidates right out of college? Please let me know, I would be very open to hearing from people that have had these experiences. Thanks!

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 15, 2006

I am a special education teaher in California . I have managed to obtain interviews for several positions but was not hired. I have been to 3 districts that have offered me subbing and I signed up. I am sure that I was hired as a sub because I was making a bigger salary at my former postion and I was mentoring other teachers. I am also 52 years old and I think my age has been a factor in not getting hired. I feel I have been passed over for recent college graduates. Terry G.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2006

I have had at least 10 interviews this past summer. I have subbed for 6 years but every district that I interviewed with said thats not a teaching experience. Well if getting a book thrown at me, having kids run out of the cafeteria, no lesson plans, having angry parents confront me because I put poor little Johnny on the wall at recess because he didnt follow a rule, isnt experience what is experience? Yes I am an older first time teacher, but does that mean that I am not a good teacher. No!! I think prinicpal and school boards should look at how long a sub has been a sub. Nothing was more frustrating for me when I was looking for a job to hear sorry we went with someone who had expereince and that experience was student teaching. Dont get me wrong I know that student teaching teaches quite a bit but I can say with out a doubt in most instances I have been there done that bought the tshirt when it comes to kids and what happens in a classroom.

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 15, 2006

I don't think I had any "common issue(s)" to deal when I started getting hired as a Substitute Teacher two years ago. However, I think the "common issue" came after I was hired in that Substitutes get NO formal training and often go threw quite a bit as txmomteacher2 has pointed out.

I also hated waiting around for "the call" to go in. I've read about how some districts/counties use the Internet and post Substitute jobs electronically thereby always allowing the sub to stay booked eeryday for the entire year. I wish more districts/counties did that. Subs have to earn a living too!

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

I subbed for a district for almost 10 years, did 5 long term sub positions for that district in those years and I still have not been able to get a permanent job. What hurts the most is one of the principals wanted to hire me, but another one didn't. I honestly have not been able to figure out why I haven't been hired. I am really disappointed because I spent so much time in the district and now feel like I need to start all over again in other districts. I am thinking I probably will never have my own classroom again because of my age.

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 15, 2006

I substitute taught for 5 years with Los Angeles Unified School District, and before that taught for 2 years under an emergency permit. These past two years I specifically subbed at one elementary school in central Los Angeles. During that 2 year time frame, I recieved my Professional Clear Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential for the State of California. I was so excited, I figured, "Finally, now I am eligible for a position." However, to my dismay, the opposite seemed to be true. I noticed SEVERAL brand new college graduates being hired, with ZERO teaching experience. I also noticed that almost all of those hired were District Interns, who were still under Emergency Permits. I started to ask around and realized that my seven years with the district was probaby working against me, since they'd have to pay me a higher salary, as Teresaglass mentioned in her experience. This June I took a job teaching 4th grade and Visual arts at a private school. I couldn't be happier. My principal sees the value in me, and my abilities as a teacher, go figure huh? That's the way it should be. I am heartbroken at reading countless entries of VERY qualifed teachers who are getting passed up for Interns. NOthing against Interns, but sorry, it's just not right. I also think that Substitutes should have their own seperate union. Substitute teachers hold a district together. You get rid of the subs, then what? I know administrators don't want that job. Start treating Subs like the TEACHERS that they are and perhaps their "non experience" will count for something. I plan on writing the legislature in Sacramento about what is going on. I smell something rotten in Denmark. Thanks for asking the question and letting me share.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

Did you know Substitute Appreciation week is the second week of September? Go figure! I think that needs to get changed and we should get the recognition we deserve.

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 15, 2006

teach123: Yeah, forgive the synicism, but "Substitute Appreciation Day"? Gimme a break. How about a pay raise for subs and benefits? The school I subbed at consisently last year (which is one of the largest in LAUSD) did NOTHING on that day. Tells you how much importance they give it.:cool:

10. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

Pay raise and benefits would be great!!!

11. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

I agree! Benefits are a must! Subs deserve more "respect" sometimes.

12. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Hi NathanLindberg,
    I am a sub in a desirable county in PA. There are lots of good colleges in our county that produce lots of good teachers. I have been subbing for most of the last ten years since I graduated from college. Of course there is an over abundance of elementary education majors. I was told when I went back to school to finish my degree that men are in demand for elementary positions because most of the teachers are women. What a joke that was. Every position I was up for was given to a women!! It is also known in most schools that if you are a good sub the district doesn't want to lose you. VERY TRUE!! I am a good sub, once I set foot in a classroom for an absent teacher and they come back to find out that I completed what they left for the day and the kids like me they ask for me to come in to their classroom again. They also recommend me to other teachers in the building. Word spreads fast you can do the job. The principals don't want to lose a good sub. I also notice that even if you do land an interview they usually hire someone right out of college. I can only speak for myself, but if they think I haven't taken an Ed class after graduation, they are dead wrong, I am taking classes and keeping up with my own education. Some of the schools, due to Act 48, offer workshops to their subs and I go.
    I enjoy working with children that is why I went back to school to get my degree in education. I CAN DO the job, i just need someone to see me in action. When I go into a school to sub I take a letter of introduction inviting the principal to visit the classroom and a copy of my resume. Do you think any principals come to visit, NO Did you know that they are suppose to? NOT one principal has set foot in a classroom. Another teacher might, to make sure you are surviving but never a principal.
    I could go on, but I am going to stop. Every fall I sign up again to sub and every spring I send out information to schools that are looking and it is the same thing.

Late in life bloomer. My name is Charlie and I just want to teach in my own classroom.

13. DeBoll

DeBoll New Member

Nov 11, 2006

Yes we, subs are the ignored, invisible group of people. I am often treated poorly. I don’t take offence any longer just except it as a job description. I have been hoping to get placed in the district and so began to work there but I’m on my second year. Most teachers and administrators are very surprised that I have a degree, although it is clearly stated in my files. Regarding rude people., I stick with people who will smile and invite me in to there little circle. I eat alone and break alone if someone wants to talk to me I am there if not I keep my head down and finish my job. It’s a job not a career for me. I have been passed up several times for a position by younger teachers who have the same degree as I and I have been working in the district?? I feel very subclass.