Substitute Woes-Need Support (A Bit Long)

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Sagette, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 6, 2007

Today, I was filling in for a specials class teacher (art, P.E., computer, music, etc). Well, the teacher left me the schedule and plans and left to go to an off school activity with another grade. Everything was going really well, I was in with another sub to handle the double classes that were scheduled in the morning, and then during what was supposed to be a double class, no one showed up :confused:

At 11:00, the group that was scheduled arrived with the MIA class hot on their tails. The Teacher of the one of the MIA classes asked me and the other sub if they had the special then. We replied that they had been scheduled for 10:30, but that we now had another group. The teacher then yelled to me in front of the other groups "My class had extended choir." The other sub replied that we weren't told of any changes and asked the teacher to ask the office what was up. I had been told that that time 11:00-11:30 was my lunch while the other sub worked with the small group because the other sub was only there until 11:30. At 11:30, I was given instructions to clean up from the morning and set up for the afternoon.

A few minutes later one of the MIA class teachers comes into the office where I was eating. She tells me, very rudely, that this is her plan time and her students are supposed to be at this special. I was very nice and gave her the schedule we had been given for the day which had the lunch/set up time for me. She then turns to me and asked "Well, what are you doing, why can't you take them to the playground or something?" I said "I was told this is my lunch time, and I don't feel comfortable taking 50-60 students outside by myself." So she got all huffy and stomped out of the room, in front of the other group and sub, saying "Fine, I'll take them out myself."

Next thing, I know here comes the Principal! She asked if we were okay and I told her yes, that we were, but that there had been a mix-up and that two teachers were very upset, with me in particular, for not instructing the special with their students at the different time. She looked over the schedule and said she had the same schedule I did and that it was not my fault, that I was doing a great job, and went on to apologize profusely for the "rudeness of the staff member" towards me. When the Specials teacher came back, he was apprised of the mix-up and he too, apologized for the rudeness and that stated that it was his fault.

I guess I was just mortified at being spoken like that in front of other teachers that I have to work with again in the future. I also know it made me look bad in front of people I may be interviewing for in a few years. I was hoping that maybe someone else could commiserate and empathize!

3. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Jun 6, 2007

Wow that's horrible! The good thing though is that both the principal and the specials teacher backed you up! I am sorry that the other teacher spoke to you that way! :(

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2007

I'm guessing that the principal had something to say to the teacher. She probably found out because someone filled her in-- she felt sorry for you. So they know YOU were right, and the hothead was WRONG.

This will probably earn your resume a look when the time comes!!!

5. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

I'm so sorry that happened to you. (I have had a similar experience)It sounds like that teacher could learn a thing or two about being professional, it seems like she just wanted to get rid of her kids! Kudos for you for staying calm in a stressfull situation like that.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

How awful and unprofessional! I'm glad you were able to remain collected in the face of all this.

7. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Thank you all so much! I was so upset about it that I night I didn't sleep very well :( Today, I was back in the same school and I had a support teacher in the room and she and I were chatting about the school, being a sub, needing to have flexibility, etc.. I said "Yeah, I learned a bit about that last week" in joking way and she said "Were the sub for the special last week?!" "That was awful, we all heard about it." :eek: Is there a rock I can crawl under please?!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all, if I were you. The other teacher made a fool of herself. You were only doing as you were instructed. If anything, this will play into your favor!

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 12, 2007

Unfortunately some classroom teachers are rude and unprofessional. At least the principal and the specials teacher backed you up. I would not worry about looking bad in front of them. The other teachers were at fault not you.

10. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Exactly. It sounds as though you handled it very well. And the principal and others know it. It's nice the principal was supportive and was concerned about you and stepped in to smooth things over. That sounds like a good place to be. Maybe that teacher was having a bad day and took it out on the easiest target. Sometimes it's like that.

11. roxynala

roxynala New Member

Jun 20, 2007

wow. sounds like something a few teachers around here would do... wow

at least they stood up for you, and it sounds like someone needs to take a time out or switch careers!!!

12. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

but unfortunately, admin doesn't select subs in the future, the teachers do. And I bet that teacher is talking to her teacher co-workers and expect fewer calls from this school