Substitute teaching

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by engelashley, Apr 3, 2009.

1. engelashley

engelashley New Member

Apr 3, 2009

Hello, I have one more year left before I am done with me degree in Elementary Ed. The job market right now is a little rough, so I am told. I live in Long Island which makes it even worse. My question is if I couldnt find a teaching job and decided to sub, how often do you usually get called in to sub? Is it usually a full-time job?? Any info would be great! Thanks. :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2009

I don't know how Long Island is, and how saturated the sub market is up there, but here I haven't been called in awhile, but normally when I am, it is a full day.

4. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

it really depends...if they have an automated system, if the district physically calls subs, how many districts you are signed up to sub in, how many subs are signed up per district. i am signed up for 3 districts...all using an automated system and i am able to work 5 days a week - although i normally work 4 days :)

i rarely accept half days unless it's a friday morning job - get my weekend off on a jumpstart. there's always lots of half days to choose from.

5. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Apr 3, 2009

I subbed at two elementary schools close to my house for a year right after I got my degree. I had a connection (my mom subbed at these schools), so I went in and told them who I was and that I was her daughter. Both were happy to have me since they knew my mom and the good work she does. I didn't get called the first two weeks of school. I started getting called about twice a week, then three times a week....by October I was working about three/four times a week. December I worked almost all of it! I got a job filling in for a teacher for six weeks. When she came back, I was working there EVERY DAY. Or at the other school. I overheard that they were calling me in first because I was certified. I don't think I was better than the other subs. I think it was just the principals' decisions to give teachers with their certifications the first call. So yes, it became a full time job. But it took time at first!

6. engelashley

engelashley New Member

Apr 4, 2009

Thanks for the info. I was also wondering when do you apply to the district to be on the sub list. I know it might be different everywhere but about when did any of you guys call and apply?

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 4, 2009

I am a long term sub so I work everyday. Each district operates their sub lists a little differently.

I recommend calling the HR at the districts you want to sub at, and get more information there.

Best of luck to you and have fun!

8. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

My student teaching ended in Dec. and I wanted to start subbing in January. I filled out and turned in all my subbing information at the end of October. I didn't get to start subbing until the 3rd week of January. I would definitely call and talk to someone...some places can take awhile.

9. azure

azure Companion

Apr 7, 2009

Most places, you can apply anytime. However, with the weak economy, many school districts have actually stopped taking applications, because they have plenty. Good luck.

10. larana

larana Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

I have been a sub-teacher for three years. There have been plenty of work. You would work all week and you had job way in advance from the teacher themself asking you to work for them. But right now it is slow. So good luck in advance.