Substitute Teaching with a para who undermines

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by XFruitloopsrusX, Mar 16, 2016.

1. XFruitloopsrusX

XFruitloopsrusX Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

Hello,
    I want to start my post by stating that I have nothing but the highest respect for paraprofessional who work in the school I substitute teach in.

However, today I had a really challenging day with a para I was working with in a Kindergarten class. First, I'm a new teach I graduate with my certification in December and I have been subbing everyday sense then. The class I was subbing in today is one I have worked in 4 other day and it was very challenging group of kids behavior. I spent a lot of time during those days making relationships with these students. Even though it was not easy.
    The para is new and this is first time I worked with her. She told me this was her 2nd week working in the district and she would be in the classroom all day. I spent a lot of my day trying to teach over her correcting students for little things that did not bother me (I don't mind if a student stands up while they work, or if they are holding a pencil I like to pick my battles). Every time I would get start she would be loudly correcting a student telling them they would not get recess/snack or special (I like to use positive reinforcement with students). I felt this undermine my authority and approach to discipline and handling these students. Throughout the day she told me what I needed to write in my note to the classroom teacher and if I didn't she would be sure to inform the teacher on what was happening, I taught a lesson on writing and specially did not use a sentence framer (as the classroom teacher and I discussed) she went around after I did this and made one for each table group. I told a student that he could have a break and she told him no and demanded her do his work. She removed students at the end of the day from the classroom without letting me know and they were unaccounted for which put me in a panic. I told her and the students they couldn't leave until I knew where they were going.
    I understand that para's know the routine in the classroom and that they work with the students daily. I did not get a chance to speak to her I would like suggestions on how I can let her know in the future that she was making my job a little more challenging.

3. renard

renard Companion

Mar 17, 2016

How frustrating (I work as a para btw). I think this would be a good opportunity for you, as a new teacher, to develop your supervisory skills. First, you could let the classroom teacher know and expect her to address it. Another option (the "nip it in the bud option") is if she (or someone else) does it again, you can pull them aside early in the day and let them know that you are the teacher and need her support to enforce your instruction, not the other way around. If she is new, maybe she is just ignorant. It doesn't matter that you are new - you are in charge.

As a para (and trained teacher), my goal is a united front and reinforce the teacher's expectations, regardless of how I feel!