Substitute teaching with a baby

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rurihoshino60, Jul 31, 2012.

1. rurihoshino60

rurihoshino60 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

I remain hopeful of finding a teaching or teacher's aide job by the fall, but the reality is I am probably going to have to go back to substitute teaching this year. The issue is, I have a baby. I have never had to deal with daycare (family is too far away for free babysitting), and I'm not even sure how to go about it considering subbing is often a last minute deal. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success with doing this. Are there daycares that don't mind you showing up at random times if you got called in at 5 am? What if you didn't end up getting called in that day? Did people find that subbing was enough to afford the cost of daycare? I live in LA if that makes any difference. I want to make sure I stay in the education field as best I can, but if this isn't an option I may have to look outside it. :(

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

I would start by looking for an at home daycare. They are usually more flexible than the big companies.

I have a girlfriend who does my daycare and she is willing to take my kids at the last minute (due to my husband's job) if I call the morning of. She doesn't charge me extra for this (many other places will) and she is okay with last minute cancellations as well, but I usually will pay her something just in case.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2012

mopar's suggestions sound good to me.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Around here you have to have a set schedule and if you don't need care you pay for it anyway, no matter the notice. I would consider which days are easiest to get sub jobs for, which days are often holidays you can't work, but will have to pay for, and how many days you need to work to make it 'worth it'. Then I would start scheduling out as many jobs in advance as you possibly can.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

This is typically how daycares run. You pay for your child's spot, not whether they go. Since you don't know your schedule this can be tricky. Once you have paid for your spot, you can drop your child off at any time during the day (at least this was how it worked when I worked at a daycare) because you have paid for the whole day.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 2, 2012

There is a drop in day care in a nearby city, so I know they exist. It is also quite expensive and once the spots fill up, they have to turn away kids.

8. rurihoshino60

rurihoshino60 Rookie

Aug 3, 2012

That's actually good to know at least since subbing often have various hours. I wondered about that, because subbing isn't the only job that does that (though you usually have at least a two week notice on your hours for other jobs).

Hmmm, I'll have to try and see if there are any around me. If nothing else for emergencies. Thanks!