Substitute teaching to segue into a full time pos.?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Birdie86, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jun 18, 2015

Has anyone done this to get their teaching position? I'm thinking of not returning to my current job as a private pre-k teacher to sub for a couple ideal districts in my area this fall (that is, if I don't get a full time teach pos. with one of them ahead of time). I can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I've subbed for one of these districts right after my student teaching, before I got my current position. Can sub teaching hurt or help you? I've heard it be said both ways. What do you guys think? I would think it would help because you can network and make connections, plus you're in their system already. But then I heard it can hurt because you'll "only be seen as a sub teacher"...?? Do districts like to hire subs qualified for teaching positions?

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 18, 2015

I've heard it as both too.
    Some people say if you're a good sub, which can be hard to come by, they don't want to lose that.
    But again, if you get a good relationship with the principal, it could help.

I've seen the same problem happen with paras too.

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

I think it varies, depending on the district. The best way to tell is to talk to teachers currently working in the districts and find out how many times subs have been hired as permanent, certified employees.
    Sheilah

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2015

The schools where I subbed didn't hire from their substitute pools, and they were pretty clear about that. On the other hand, my current school tends to hire permanent subs (we don't really need per diem subs but need at least two LTS per department) with the goal of getting them into their own classrooms.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2015

You're more marketable having multi grade experience than solely Pre K if you are seeking elementary positions. :2cents:

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2015

It seems counter-intuitive, but in my area, principals don't like hiring good subs because... well... they need good subs.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2015

here, it's the only way to get a full time position.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 18, 2015

I don't think subbing can hurt you. You gain a lot of experience working with several grade levels. All of this you can put on your resume; you can choose the areas / schools you work at, so you might have experience working with gifted / talented, as well as inner city schools, and then when you apply for a job you can emphasize the relevant experience.
    Some schools don't hire from their sub pools, some principals are so desperate that they don't want to hire subs in fear of not finding great ones to replace them, but a lot of schools do hire their subs.
    Normally the way it works is that you go from day-to-day subbing to a long term sub assignment, where you have your own classroom and you can really show what you can do. From then on, if they have openings, they should at least give you an interview. If not, I'd say move on to other schools / districts.

10. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

I started in a middle school as a part time para, then I switched to per diem subbing once my teaching certificate came through. I got an LTS in November and I've been rehired for next year as the full time teacher, all because I put my name on a sub list for the Catholic diocese and they had an opening. I'm living proof that it can work. However, public schools are downsizing near me so I'm not crossing my fingers to get back into public education yet. It really depends where you live.

11. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jun 18, 2015

Hmm some of these responses worry me! I'm a certified teacher I don't want to be stuck subbing forever! I love working as a prek teacher just not where I'm at currently. It's horrible, that's why I want to leave besides that I also want to be in public school now. I'd been really planning on subbing if a full time position in the two districts I've applied for dont come about. These districts are big so I may not necessarily be at a school more than once in a month or two...so maybe they wouldn't notice me so much as a "good regular"...? While currently I have teaching apps going in these two districts, I also have apps for subbing in both these districts near ready to be submitted in addition. Out of curiosity, what would you guys do? Take the sub risk, or not? (Again subbing is my worst case scenario, meaning if I do not get interviewed/offered a teach position with them before the start of the school yr.)

12. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

If you are not happy where you are, I think subbing would be a good option if nothing else comes through.

13. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I was offered a few jobs after subbing for only 5 months. My district LOVES hiring subs. If you have any friends who work in the district, ask them how it is. They can probably advise you. Hey, they might be able to recommend you for a full-time position! ;)

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

I got my job through subbing.

I got a subbing job the fall after I graduated with my teaching degree. I am secondary English certified, so I wanted to sub at middle and high school because I'm not a little kid person. Most subs wanted to work elementary, so I was in demand. I worked mainly high school and some middle school. I was called to work every day except five days the entire year.

When one of the high school English teachers had a baby, I did her maternity leave. When another high school English teacher went on medical leave, I finished the year for her.

They were going to need a half-time English teacher the next year, and I was offered the job. They did have to interview me and at least one other candidate, but having subbed for them so much was a great benefit. I essentially had an 18 week interview in the position I wanted.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

I'm trying to think if we have hired any sub in 10 years, and only 1 comes to mind. But, I'm not sure many of our subs have the degree or certification. The ones that do are retired and are subbing just for something to do during retirement.

We do hire a lot of teachers who did their student teaching in our school. Or, at least it seems that way.

16. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 19, 2015

I do not think this is the case. I think subbing is a way to get into teaching. The ideal way within this scenario is to be favored at a particular school or two--get to know staff, P, secretary... sit in staff lounge, be willing to do extra things... The, llet it be known that your goal is to be a teacher, and when an opening appears--you are in-mind. I think the sentiment about not hiring subs, generally comes from the type of subs that are in the pool. Sorry to say, but the majority of subs are dented cans. RARELY do you encounter bright, bushy-tailed, enthusiastic, organized, professionals working as subs., because no bright, bushy-tailed person is going to subject themselves to such poor compensation. This is the dilemma. You have to basically live off your savings or take a vow of poverty to make ends meet, while chasing your dream.

Actually, I can't really think of the better way to get hired. Getting hired strictly off your resume is dubious at best, given the amount of candidates out there. You have to basically be the shiniest penny (i.e. the most organized, the most presentable--the most ready) person out of 100's of outstanding candidates. It's a 1% shot.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

If you want to stay in PreK, then subbing probably won't help. If you are ready to move up the food chain a little, then yes, it is nice to be able to speak intelligently about those grades at interviews, and subbing can help, even if you are interviewing in districts that you are not working in. Think of subbing as teacher training where they pay you instead of the other way around.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

I think subbing is a great way to get your foot in the door. I have been a sub on three different occasions as a way to network and learn about the districts before interviewing. It's worked too. I have learned about and gotten some first hand experience with the different learning models they used and even a few long-term sub positions. I say go for it.