Substitute teaching SEMINAR

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mrs. West, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

For about 12 years it's been my dream to put together and conduct my own seminar. I've decided to start work on a seminar geared toward helping people prepare to become substitute teachers.

I'd like to know everything you would look for in such a seminar. Hopefully I'd be able to get school districts to pay me for it, but if you had to pay, how much would it be worth to you? How much time would you be willing to devote to this training? And, most importantly, what information would you most want to get out of it? What do you wish you had known before you started? What was the best information you did find before you started? If you are lucky enough to have attended such a seminar; what did you like and not like about it?

I'd also like to create a seminar for employed classroom teachers to help them better prepare for a substitute in their classroom. What information do you think is the most important for this seminar?

Any suggestions, advice, tips, and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated by me. Thank you, in advance, for any comments. :D

3. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Feb 24, 2006

Seminar

Our county does one. It is mandatory for substitutes. I can try and copy send to you. Or my I have a break in my grad class, I can try to scan in and send to you. It was helpful but I also wish some other things were in there.

Like:
    What to do when there is no classroom management.
    OR what to do when it isn't possible for a sub to follow

And where to eat lunch. I wish there was a place (I guess the lounge but it is always busy) that subs could meet up.

I met this other sub (younger girl like me - well 30's) and she had just moved here with her husband, didn't have any friends. We had the same seminar together. I asked to HR if they could forward my email to her. They wouldn't do it. I just thought it would be nice to make sure she is adjusting to Florida life ok. It is tough because subs move around so it takes a while to make workplace friends.

4. oglorious1

oglorious1 New Member

Feb 24, 2006

I went to one at my local community college, the techniques the man used really do work, the school district may not agree with some of them, but they work and the kids love you every time. His name is Charles Prosper and is know as the Super Sub, in fact he wrote a book, called the Super Sub Manual

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 24, 2006

Our district provides their own one day seminar for all subs. The substitute directer leads it. It's a basic what to do class. All the proper proceedures for the district. You get a employee handbook, the school handbook (if you're signed up for different schools you get all the handbooks), and a substitute packet. The first part of the day is orientation to the district policy's. The second part of the day is basic what to do if... no lesson plans, behavior problems, etc...