Substitute Teaching - Kelly Educational Staffing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ms99, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with Kelly Educational Staffing? Schools start here in two weeks, so I'm looking towards what I'm going to do this year if I don't get a full time job. I'm not looking forward to having to sub this year, but I've got to do something. Anyway, I called to get sent an application to sub, and it is really confusing. After I send in the application I'll have to go in for an interview.

Does anyone have any experience with them? What should I expect out of the interview? Will it just be like a normal teaching job interview?

Bleh, I hate this job search madness.:lol:

3. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I subbed all last year with Kelly Services , but I never had an interview. I just applied and then hired me. I did hve to go to a orientation and get finger prints done.

4. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Thanks for replying. I'm thinking that the interview is just a formality; the email they sent said to be sure to dress professionally and have all your paperwork. I'm thinking it's just to make sure that you know what you're doing. I'm just stuck on some parts of the application that I was sent. I'll have to call tomorrow for clarification.

5. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

I worked for Kelly Staffing where I live because that was how most of the districts out here did their subbing. I can't speak for all of the Kelly branches, but the one here was awful. I only stayed with them for about two months. First of all, you weren't allowed to choose your grade levels (elementary, middle school, high school). I taught first grade for two years and believe that it takes different types of people to teach each age group...but I did try a couple of high school jobs that came up. After realizing that high school was just NOT for me, I called to see if I could be taken off the high school call list and was told that they would let me go if I chose to do so, and that while I didn't have to accept posted jobs, I needed to accept any jobs that they phoned me about. :p Second of all, they were extremely unforgiving if you did not accept a job on a day that you were listed as "available." I would wake up at about 6:30 to see if any jobs were posted and would wait til about 7:45 to see if any came up. If I didn't get a call I would go about my morning routine of working out. When I got home I would check again to see if any afternoon jobs came up, and made plans if I knew there weren't any postings. I missed a couple of calls while I was at the gym and Kelly called to "scold me" about this. Another time I woke up terribly ill and had only gotten out of bed to hurl...they called at 9am for a job that they needed to be filled at 8am and asked if I could take it. I explained that I had been ill all morning and they "scolded me" for not putting in that I was unavailable because it was a huge waste of their time to call me, even though I explained that I had not gotten out of bed to even access my computer. They always seemed to treat me like nothing more than someone with a HS diploma who should be sitting next to my phone fully dressed and ready to accept any and every position that became available at the drop of a hat. A lot of the teachers in the schools I subbed at said they really didn't like the service because they weren't able to request subs they liked, only put a note in the assignment and hope that sub accepted the job before someone else did.
    Anyways, that was my experience. I'm sure every Kelly branch is different. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

6. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

Thanks for the info. I hope that the people I deal with will be a little bit nicer haha. :lol: I think I'm more nervous about subbing than I would be to start a full time position.

7. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

I had the same experience as seeking2913. They just wasn't flexible enough for me. They wanted me to end my night and begin my early morning searching for jobs.

8. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

That's because it's competitive these days, and Kelly accepts and keeps quality substitute teachers that have initiative. I worked with them this past year, and once it became known between schools that I was a good sub, I began getting requests and my calendar filled itself!

There were certain schools I didn't want to sub for, so I was able to select where I wanted to teach.

If that's who the schools use then you have little choice.

9. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

iSaint, did you have to go in for an interview?

10. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Ugh, I am so frustrated. I sent in my application to them last week, and I called to get an interview. They said that someone would call me back. No one ever contacted me. I had out of town company come and stay all weekend, so I didn't call on Friday. I finally called them and was told that they were no longer accepting anyone new!!!!! I just needed to vent. It's bad enough I didn't get a job for the second year, but now I can't even sub!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Just needed to vent! I will call another district tomorrow to see about getting a sub license there.

11. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

I guess every state is different but as long as you have a teacher's license from the state of Iowa, you can basically sign up to sub in any district in Iowa. You have to fill out an application and send in a resume, cover letter, and copy of your license. Then you just go through mandatory reporter, bloodborne pathogens, and right to know training. The only other thing is getting a physical and a tb test. Most districts do not even have interviews although I wish they did since alot of good jobs are taken by subs that don't know what they are doing. I've never heard of Kelly Staffing. It sounds annoying. I do work for districts that use subfinder and aesop and I love them both!

12. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Yeah the district that I am thinking about subbing in now, you just have to call, be fingerprinted, TB test, complete a writing sample, and go through a two hour sub class. The only reason that I was going to sub in the other district was because they actually had openings this year. I figured I had a better chance of eventually getting hired in that district. The district that I am thinking of subbing in now there is basically no chance of getting hired. It is in the same area where my university is located, and there is an over saturation of teachers looking for jobs. Teachers are being laid off in that district, not hired. The Kelly stuff seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I would have had to drive over an hour to go to the interview, when the district I would be subbing in is only about 30 minutes away.

13. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Thumbs Down on Kelly!

I worked for Kelly and I wouldn't recommend it. They make you pay for fingerprinting. I also had experiences where they would give me 8hours and then the school would replace me with one of thier own classified employees and send me home after 3 hours. I just got paid for 3 HOURS! I was upset. Kelly is horrible! Find your jobs on your own!:dizzy: