Substitute teaching in California - worth it ?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by VB2020, Jan 24, 2020.

1. VB2020

VB2020 New Member

Jan 24, 2020

Hi all,

So a bit of background about me. In my previous life I used to work as a corporate lawyer in Singapore (Asia) I very much disliked my profession. So I left in 2016, and have been pretty much a housewife since then. Ive been wanting to dive into teaching for a very long time, and I figured it's now or never. I currently live in SF Bay area ( California) and wanted to get into teaching. Financially I think we can scrimp and save and make it work !

I wanted to understand a few things. I am not from America so I don't have a wide network of people to talk to about teaching as a career, so I'm looking for advice from you guys !

- Is substitute teaching a good introduction of day to day life in the classroom?
    - is it easy to make contacts while substitute teaching for future jobs ?
    - I was told to apply for a 30 day permit by the Mountain View school district folks. Does that mean I can only work 30 days in one year ??
    - what other roles/options should I explore ? What other part time jobs would you recommend ? Can you give tips on the job titles to look for, as this will greatly help in my search !
    - are there any folks who have graduated from Stanford's STEP program on here ? I'd love to message you and learn more

Thanks a lot in advance

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2020

Welcome to A to Z, VB2020.

It's generally the case in California that substituting is a fine way to get a feel for a district and a school: schools that treat their substitutes humanely are generally decent places for everyone else as well. And, yes, you may find it a good way to make contacts.

A 30-day permit doesn't mean that the substitute can work only 30 days in a year, no: it means that the substitute can work up to 30 days per year in one particular classroom. A 30-day substitute is called in to cover for a teacher who is temporarily sick or absent: the 30-day substitute carries out that teacher's lesson plans and doesn't assign grades at the end of the term or school year. By state law, a 30-day substitute must possess a bachelor's degree - nobody cares what subject - and pass a basic-skills test; a district can choose to require more of a 30-day substitute, up to and including possession of a full teaching credential. (If the teacher will be absent for more than 30 days - for instance, on maternity leave - a long-term substitute takes over the classroom; the long-term substitute, who is credentialed in the subject matter being taught in the classroom, may either follow or modify the original teacher's lesson plans, does assign grades, does participate in parent conferences, and otherwise functions as the teacher of record.)

I suspect you won't have difficulty passing California's basic-skills test (CBEST: see www.ctcexams.nesinc.com, and use the pulldown menus to find the information on CBEST). Since you were educated outside the US, you'll probably need to have your Singapore transcripts evaluated, so let me recommend chatting up the credential analysts at your local county office of education (COE): for Mountain View, that's going to be the Santa Clara COE, www.sccoe.org.

4. VB2020

VB2020 New Member

Jan 28, 2020

Thanks @TeacherGroupie for your response.

I have already passed the CBEST exam. I am getting very nervous about taking my next step because every day I read bad things about becoming a teacher in California. It seems like every year people are leaving the profession in droves. Financial reasons aside, are there deeper reasons related to "flaws in the educaiton system" that lead people to leave?

Is Mountain View district a good place for teachers? Please let me know. Im getting cold feet.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2020

VB2020, you need information that I'm not local enough to supply. CTA, the California Teachers Association, has local affiliate groups, listed at https://www.cta.org/en/About-CTA/Affiliates.aspx; you might try contacting one or another of the Bay Area affiliates in hopes of finding someone who can give you some of the answers you seek.