Substitute teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by newteacher1, Apr 11, 2007.

1. newteacher1

newteacher1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

Hi,
    Is anybody willing to help me by sharing their experience if any about subbing? How long or what steps does it take to move from subbing to a regular classroom teacher or an aide? Is it ever possible?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2007

Hi there Newteacher1,

Oh my gosh I certainly hope it is possible!!!

At the school where I sub and want to teach, there are 5 teachers there who used to sub at the school. There is only 1 teacher who did her student teaching there. (about 40 teacher total-elementary)I am in my 3rd year of subbing but it is just this last year that I have gone for my certification. I should be granted my interview at the end of this month.

As far as steps to get there, I have no clue. Just do everything right when you sub and make sure your passion for teaching is there and seen by others; you are not a babysitter. You do not simply "take care of a class" when the teacher is gone.

Show other teachers and the administration that you are passionate, compassionate, open-minded, level-headed, practical, intuitive, resourceful, and have a sense of humor.

Anyway..... I see no clear cut steps at all. That could just be my school and my district.

There is a whole forum devoted to subbing on this AWESOME website. Check it out:)

4. kj6teach

kj6teach New Member

Apr 11, 2007

Hi newteacher!
    I subbed for 6 years in my current district before getting hired full time. So it definitely is possible to go from subbing to full time! Subbing builds valuable experiences, plus it lets you try out a variety of grade levels to see which ones you really might enjoy.
    I completely agree with lemonhead, show your passion, drive and enthusiasm for teaching and for the kids. We currently have a shortage of substitutes in our area, so we highly value those who really do come in to do more than "babysit". As the classroom teacher, I really appreciate coming back to my kids to find they have accomplished the lessons I had planned, as well as, having materials taken care of (things put away neatly, some papers checked etc). Don't forget to add some of your own personal touches when you sub, like special routines or incentives.
    Good luck both with your subbing and finding that first full time position!

5. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

I am subbing in my district while looking for a permanent position. I treat each day as a working job interview. I have met many teachers who started by working as a sub. They say that the principals look for the subs who are requested by the teachers the most and often ask for teacher recommendations. I enjoy subbing and find teaching moments in any lesson plan.

6. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

I am so glad to hear of your positive substituting experiences! I have been a leave-replacement teacher this year (my first year of teaching) and often find that I could have used some experience subbing first. So much so that I am planning to do that next year! :) Any advice, suggestions, tips from those of you who have experience subbing? Thank you!

7. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Apr 11, 2007

I subbed for 2.5 years before I landed a job. I would not have given up subbing for anything. I learned a great deal about the programs before I had to teach them, got a ton of ideas, and learned that I would like to teach library (never thought I would.)
    For the last 2 years that I subbed, I built up my connections by volunteering at a school on Fridays. This is what eventually got me my position.
    I loved subbing and I know that our district does not hire people they do not know. For every elementary position, we have over 100 applicants and 4 are interviewed. To even get an interview you need to know someone. Subbing and volunteering did it for me.