Substitute Teacher Pep Rally!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by WhatchaDoin?, May 7, 2010.

1. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 7, 2010

There are quite a few of us that are substituting while we are waitng for our "big break." Even though this isn't our first choice, it's not really that bad of a gig. I think we just have our hearts set on a class of our own. So...

Let's start a post of all the great things about subbing.

I'll go first:)

• No planning
    • No conferences
    • No after hours staff meetings
    • We don't have to call out for a Dr. Appt, we just don't accept an assignment
    • At the end of the day, the kids go back to their teacher
    • Explore different grade levels
    • Adventure!

I've told my husband often, this is a job I never thought I could do. I like routines, and there are routines, but everday is a different routine. Anyway, I am really proud of myself for "stepping out of the box," as many of you should be, as well.

Let's go Subs!!!! Woohoo!!!:clap:

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 7, 2010

No planning is the best! (except for days like today when there was no "emergency plans") I enjoyed doing my own thing for the day though, no sweat!

I also love walking out for the day with the kids! And making it to happy hour on Friday not thinking about what I will have to grade when I get home!

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 7, 2010

I like being able to decide to take the next day off after a particularly trying day. Also, the not being the teacher who has to deal with problems every single day.

5. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 7, 2010

Love the lack of worrying on Friday.

Now that I've been in the same school for most of the year, I get a lot of greetings from the kids in the halls and busloop. Even the kiddos that aren't supposed to like me!

6. Subber

Subber Companion

May 7, 2010

By the time I started subbing, I had given up on hope to have a routine job (in IT0 and was ready to take contract projects. That helped me developed the mentality which is helping me now though I was pretty good with switching gear though it'd have been for changes every 24 hours. What i do ntice lately is that as I have been subbing high school more, I am not enjoying elementary as much unless the kids are well behaved because it's more tiring. The only reason I sub elementary like today , is that the job is assigned way in advance or like two days ago, the sub finder offered that to me first.

I worked every day this week, 4 days last week, 3 days prior to that with two different weeks Sp break in those two districts.
    I do anticipate more hi school assignment as this one hi school seems to be calling me a lot. So, I do anticipate to work more at hi school for the remaining period before summer.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2010

- Taking a day off whenever you feel like it!

- No taking work home

- Not having to deal w/ people you dislike for long

- New kids to always work with

- Don't need a huge wardrobe since you work at different places all the time...no one knows if you wore the same skirt earlier in the wk

- Not worrying about report cards, parent conferences, back to school night, etc.

8. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 8, 2010

Ms. I - I was just thinking about the small wardrobe this week. Even though I am mostly in the same school, I can rotate khakis and shirts pretty well, considering I am usually in different grade levels. I'd rather spend the extra money on accessories, to jazz up the outfits, and give them more of a polish.

Speaking of khakis, I have also learned to dress comfortably (of course, more or less "business casual"). Nothing like showing up in a skirt and dress shoes, to find out the school is participating in a school wide walk that will last one hour. Comfortable dress, another plus.

Oh, here's a good one!

We're not spending oodles of money on our classroom. And, speaking of a classroom, no pressure to keep displays rotating, supplies stocked, or any other responsibility that goes with having a room.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2010

BubblySub, I personally have a huge wardrobe where I don't have to wear the same thing for months. But the district I work for dresses quite casually & even tacky one may say. I could wear jeans all 5 days a wk if I wanted to, but I hate t-shirts, so I dress up my jeans. I find myself wearing them a lot the last couple of yrs. I have aout 7 pairs of jeans.

Also...

- Not really having to worry about what to get our coworkers/principal/students for Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc., although being a sub, I have spent my money on doughnuts, cupcakes, even pizza (once) for kids on several occasions.

- Depending on what kind of sub you are that day, NO YARD/BUS DUTY!

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 8, 2010

Hahaha... awesome remark Ms. I. :lol:
    I thought I was the only one did this.

Keep them coming people. Though I've subbed a LONG time, at this point... I need people to tell me why I'm lucky. ;)

11. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 8, 2010

I'm the opposite. I don't have many clothes. This summer I'm going to have to buy some things since I will be student teaching in the fall.

It seems like teachers in SoCal, in general, dress more casual than teachers in other states. I wear jeans every Fri. like all of the other teachers and staff.

12. pjlmom

pjlmom Rookie

May 8, 2010

Things I like about subbing

- If a class was real bad. I don't have to put up with them all year. I can turn down a request to sub for that classroom.

-I can have a mental health day any time I want.

-I can watch my diet, because I'm not near food all day long.

- I can have off in the summer and on holidays

- I'm not working weekends

- I get hugs from the kids in the stores when they see me out of class.

- I have developed a strong bladder since we can't go to the restroom in the middle of class.

- I've learned to let things roll off my back.

13. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 8, 2010

I've dropped a little weight this school year. I think it's the combo of not as many delivered lunches and a not-so-great vending machine. I also feel like I stay more active as a sub - not sure why.

14. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 8, 2010

As a substitute, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Whether it's avoiding gossip or deciding if admin. needs to be involved with a student, sometimes it's nice to fall back on limited knowledge.

15. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 8, 2010

-If a class was really trying, you can turn down future requests
    -You can pick or choose your grade levels and schools
    -Great exposure to different grade levels and schools
    -No need to grade papers after class
    -Don't have to deal with trying parents
    -No involvement in school site politics
    -Kids say hi to you if you've been around a few times at schools
    -I can choose NOT to work a certain day if I need to

16. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 9, 2010

And some more....

It's great to see all the different classrooms. I've started a notebook to list routines, displays, and anything else I think will be helpful in the future.

It's also great to see the bond between the teacher and the kids. Most of the kids really miss their teacher, and 95 percent of the teachers have nice things to say about their classes.

17. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 10, 2010

I take pictures of all of the classrooms that I'm in so I can get an idea of what I want my future classroom to be like or completely different from.

18. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 10, 2010

If you end up with a long-term subbing position, some of those little perks go away (like the no planning and an occational parent talk). If you luck out, it's a well established class, and the lessons are all done for you anyway! The pay, however goes significantly higher than a daily sub. The disctrict at which I work (and am currently in a long-term position) pays the same to a long-term sub as to a teacher (if a teacher got a "daily" pay). Actually, my take-home is more because I don't have any benefit deductions.

19. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 11, 2010

That's awesome, but not generally the case. Most districts here pay the same or only about $10-30 more a day for long term vs. day to day.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 11, 2010

While some have talked bout dress....I never wear jeans anymore...Our district went to dress code for the kids and teachers are not permited to wear jeans ...some schools you can still wear flipflops but some you can't....I feel better when I dress (not in jeans) more professional when I come in contact with a parents(rare but it happens ex: missbehaving child and principal calls home, PTO parent, sick child and parent comes to room, etc.) Teachers in my area will usually wear Kaki pants on friday(not that they don't wear em other days) It is the closed thing to jeans and will usually wear them with a school tshirt. I just wear them with a polo shirt.

21. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 11, 2010

Another good one:

On days when I really feel things went well, I am on top of the world! Especially if it leads to a request in the future!

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 13, 2010

Here's a perk that I enjoy: I actually like going from school to school, working within different (school) communities. I've always thought that something like that would be a GREAT thing for teachers to do... like a job swap of sorts (e.g. week-long, or teach a specific unit, or different level--elementary school teacher goes to a middle school to teach x).

It keeps things fresh, it lets teachers work with different age levels (see different learning style)... of course, it all would be voluntary and standardized.

But I think that being able to switch jobs for a week, teach a specific concept to a totally different audience... I think that'd be fun, educational (for the teacher), and worthwhile.

23. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 13, 2010

I love it when I'm surprised with a picture from a student. Never fails to make me feel awesome.