Substitute Teacher passed over for Teaching position?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JMC2017, Jul 31, 2017.

1. JMC2017

JMC2017 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

I was wondering how often this sort of thing happens?

A little backstory, I graduated in 2012 with my P-4th certification. I did not try to get a job after graduation, my husband and I wanted to have another baby. I have stayed home with my child until he went to preschool last year. I applied for a open position at the school where I live and the principal told me, "We just don't know you very well, come sub with us for a year and reapply next year." So that is exactly what I did. I was there to sub almost every day, I did a long term sub position for a maternity leave. I was even hired as a long term sub for a special needs student. Everything seemed great, I had no complaints that I was aware of. I was the most requested sub there at school, and many teachers said they put in a good word for me for a position this year.

Well, here we are at the end of the hiring season. The school I subbed for had 3 open positions! I was called to interview. The principal said she did not want to take a long time interviewing me since she already knew me. I have been passed over for all 3 positions at the school. One teacher, who got the job was fresh out of school with no experience at all. There is nothing wrong with that, my point is that it can't be my lack of experience.

I guess what I am asking is, has anyone had this happen to them before? Thanks in advance!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

Your position is unique in that you were a highly requested sub and popular among teachers, so your "objective" performance should be considered good. ( We had a different situation where one of the sub was dropped for sub-par performance, but does not apply to your case. ). It may be a "subjective" issue - i wonder if it could be helpful for you to have a short session with the principal to (a) get his or her testimonial on your performance in the past terms to help in your future interview and (b) get his or her frank opinions on why you were passed over. This could probably be the only way to really know.

JMC2017 likes this.
  4. JMC2017

JMC2017 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2017

I'm sorry this has happened. One principal I worked with was honest enough to tell me that his district never hires from its own substitute pool. Never understood this unless it was because they wanted to keep good "guest teachers" as they were. Take your subbing talents to another district or five, and if another opening comes up at the original school, you'll have not only the one year they know but also the experience at other places.

Leaborb192, mckbearcat48 and JMC2017 like this.
  6. JMC2017

JMC2017 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

Thanks, that is so weird that some schools don't hire from their sub pool. I know that other teachers subbed in this particular district before getting hired so that wasn't the case either.

I will however sub at other districts. It's just hard to do that when my kids are still in this school and I have to drive to another.

I had no idea getting a job would be this difficult!

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 31, 2017

I was in the same boat this time last year (busting out where I did LTS, which is the same district I student taught), and they passed on me because of my experience. The hire for that position that I wanted last year was an outside hire with 19 years under his belt, so I only beat myself up for a month over that one.

The situation mentioned by @catnfiddle earlier happens a lot here. Good subs get buried because there simply aren't many subs to go around...and districts will hire new teachers to keep their sub pool full. A trend in education that is leading to this (in my area anyway) is that the schools of education are telling teacher candidates not to sub more than the rest of their student teaching semester.

Leaborb192 and JMC2017 like this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 31, 2017

I know plenty of aides and subs who get passed over. The truth is, if they were afraid they couldn't live without your services they would have selected you. Don't lose multiple years being seen as a "great highly requested sub" when you can be a teacher elsewhere.

JMC2017 likes this.
  9. pennyandme

pennyandme Rookie

Aug 1, 2017

When I was subbing and one of the most requested subs in the district, a lot of people warned me that I wouldn't be hired there. Subs are hard to come by, good subs are near impossible for some districts. If they hire all of their good subs as teachers, what are they going to do when they need a good sub? I was also told not to stay in that capacity for too long because then you are seen as JUST a sub and incapable of a classroom position.

JMC2017 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    pennyandme and JMC2017 like this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2017

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

These are conversations you shouldn't be having with students. If a kid starts talking about how bad a teacher is, it's time to get them back on track, not hear them out. The truth is, perception is reality. Once admin show that they perceive you as a sub it's time to move on. If you get passed over for an LTS to someone outside the district, it's time to run.

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2017

14. JMC2017

JMC2017 Rookie

Aug 1, 2017

Oh I know how you feel! Everyone in this building is completely shocked as well. Our district doesn't count sub experience as teaching experience. So I have no experience to them. I am just not as young as someone out of school. But our salaries would have been the same. I just feel like I was lied too. I have heard of one teacher who subbed there 3 years before they hired her. I haven't subbed that long (last year) but have applied to this district since 2015. Like you I thought subbing would help me get in, well, at least that's what the principal said. She also said "Work with this special needs student, and you will have a job here forever." Obviously that was a lie too.

I would not sub years and years before I got a job somewhere, that is just ridiculous! Especially since our district only pays $64 per day! It doesn't matter if you are certified or not, that is all they pay you!

I am going to sub at another district. It's just hard since my child goes to this school and I have to see everyone for school events. (We live in a really small town).

Leaborb192 likes this.
  15. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Aug 1, 2017

OP - my condolences. Chin up and look elsewhere as for some unknown reason this school is not for you as a professional. There are plenty other schools and you'll be better off at one of them.

You mentioned this is your children's school. Could there be hesitation on the admin's part to speak frankly to a parent? I don't know how that factors in, if at all. But, I'd be curious to hear from others as I may eventually find myself in a similar situation.

JMC2017 likes this.
  16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

I also wouldn't mope around the school or complain to other people at school. You don't want the admin to pick up on that vibe.

JMC2017 likes this.
  17. JMC2017

JMC2017 Rookie

Aug 1, 2017

Thanks for your input! You actually make a very good point. The admin's might not want to say bluntly, "I don't like you." or something else too negative as they still have to deal with me in their school district as a parent.

I have many good friends over in that school that I made this year subbing. I will probably find out the truth eventually, but it won't probably come straight from the source.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2017

We make a habit of hiring from our student teachers and substitutes. When I was hired in 1994, they said that the interview was just a formality because they already planned to hire me.

Of course, if you are a really good sub, they may hate to lose you from the sub pool. Or they may feel that they know you well enough to know that you would be a good fit for someone else. I know that we did an interview for a position last year and the person wasn't right for us, but we thought they would be great at another school. We called that school, and they hired the person. Or they might want someone fresh out of school for their recent training. Whatever the reason, I wouldn't complain because you don't want to burn bridges if you ever want a chance to work there. Good luck.

JMC2017 likes this.