Substitute Teacher Lifesaver Bag

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mizzkaren, Jul 27, 2010.

1. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Hello all! This will be my first year as a substitute and an official student teacher!

I don't know about all of you, but I am excited to round up materials to throw in a teaching bag to take with me!

What materials are you planning/do you usually take?

Here is my plan:

Kleenex
    Chalk
    Dry-erase markers
    Pens & pencils
    White-out
    Paper clips
    Loose-leaf wide & college ruled notebook paper
    All different colors of construction paper
    Laminated light-colored construction paper
    Puzzles & brain-teasers
    Folder with my assignment district info. & forms I have printed off
    Substitute feedback form I created
    Stickers
    Laminated, medium-sized, different colored stars
    Large, different colored stars
    Band-aids
    Hair ties
    Granola bars
    Post-its
    Clean desk awards
    Grade level appropriate lesson plans
    A list of attention getters to use (I love the ones in the tips section here)
    Shaving cream

3. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Oh also, I will add:

CD's for them to listen to while they clean up/work (elementary and high school)
    Spare clothes & shoes in the car
    Timer
    Advil!
    Safety pins

4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I have to say, I have never needed most of that stuff as I have been subbing (1 1/2 years). What I take is:

highlighters, pens and pencils for me only
    notebook
    calendar with assignment info
    brain quest
    1-2 picture books
    a book to read if time permits
    post-its
    sub feedback forms

If I would ever need anything else, either a neighboring teacher or the office would be able to get it. Where I have been subbing the office staff have been awesome in getting me whatever I may need for the class so I don't have to buy it on my limited budget.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

I'm like nklauste... I mainly bring personal stuff for myself (book to read in down time, writing supplies, something to snack on?), and honestly--I probably don't even bring those too much. Cuz everything else, is normally there at the site.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm though mizzkaren :thumb: for a job that I'm probably taking too much for granted.

6. JaceOne

JaceOne Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I don't bring too much when I sub. My bag consists of:

- 2 bottles of water
    - 2 cliff bars
    - dry erase markers (labeled with my last name so that students don't think I'm stealing from their teacher)
    - pens, pencil, highlighter
    - daily planner/calendar or a notebook (to jot down any specific incident that happens that day)
    - magazine or a book
    - homemade pictionary cards on bright-colored index cards (movie, tv show, and video game titles)

I use the pictionary cards to motivate some classes, not all, to complete the day's assignment. I tell the students that once everyone completes and turns in the assignment, we can play. And yes, I do check a few answers before I accept the assignment to make sure the student has done it correctly instead of rushing through it just to play pictionary. Works like a charm.

7. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I usually pack heavy, but have realized that there really only a few things I need to get through the day:
    *2 bottles of water
    *snack for conference time
    *lunch
    *Advil
    *stickers
    *stationary to write notes on
    *pen
    *age appropriate picture book (if there's time)
    *book or homework

I also have one of those plastic envelopes with my job info, district map, student handbook, sub handbook, directions, and any other papers I would need. I also keep my stickers and stationary in there too. Makes life so much easier. We were specifically told not to create lesson plans, even if they were aligned with state standards.

I can't imagine carrying a bag with all of the stuff on your list!

8. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I love thinking of what I can bring with me and maybe use during the day! Haha, I guess I am the new Karen Poppins! :rolleyes: It just motivates me...I don't know why!!

JaceOne, I like your homemade pictionary card idea. I will definitely be doing this! I also like your calendar/notebook idea. I'm planning on buying a small calendar and attaching it to the front of the same-sized notebook. That will help me remember what happened in who's room from what school district. It will also help me remember certain students, too. It will make it so much easier for me to decide what assignments to take over other ones, too! :)

9. MoreToLearn

MoreToLearn Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I've been subbing for 2 years now and rarely do I need anything that the teacher hasn't already provided outside of things for myself. I take a water, my lunch, and a book to read. Most classrooms have extensive classroom libraries so I have not ever needed to bring a book to read to a class. I have only had two times in which the teacher didn't leave plans. Once was for an art teacher and a half hour after school started she ended up emailing them in. The other time was a second grade class and the other second grade teachers showed me what they had been doing and where they needed to be by the end of the week so I just made my own plans on the spot using the materials and curriculum the school and teacher had. Having premade plans wouldn't have helped in this situation. Keep up the enthusiasm, though! On your tough days (and occassionally everyone has one) you'll need it! Good luck with subbing this year! :)

10. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

Thanks, and that's great to hear MoreToLearn! :thumb:

I noticed we are both from Indiana...YAY! I live in Brownsburg, which is the town directly west of Indianapolis. Do you live in central IN?

11. MoreToLearn

MoreToLearn Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

No, I live in Northern Indiana about in the middle of the state if you are looking at it side to side. It's nice seeing other people from Indiana on here. It will help when it comes to questions regarding state standards or laws!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2010

mizzkaren, now that's being prepared! :) Honestly from my experience of subbing for yrs (about 7 yrs) & being a student teacher 4 times (2 terms in general ed & 2 in special ed...I earned 2 credentials), I never brought any of that stuff, but hey, bring it & see. If you see that you won't really be needing a lot of that stuff, just leave it in a cabinet where you'll be student teaching so you're not lugging it back & forth daily or leave it in your car, so if you do need something, you can run to your car & get it.

When subbing, I've honestly only brought enough word searches for the whole class in case they finish something up early & we need time to kill, if let's say they don't go to recess or lunch or dismissal in 15 more min & there's nothing else to do.

But, good luck & have fun!

13. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

MoreToLearn--Yeah, that's really cool we are both from the same place! We can help each other out.

Ms. I
    --Haha, yeah I know my lifesaver bag sounds ridiculous to all of you lol but I'm like Karen Poppins. I enjoy having a bunch of stuff with me for some reason...as long as it isn't heavy!! I'm also thinking of using word searches, riddles, cool coloring sheets, etc. for killing time if one student gets done with an assignment and needs something to do while waiting for the rest of the class. And thank you; you also have good luck and have fun! :)

14. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Wow, you've got a lot! :cool:

-Don't forget your lunch. :lol:
    -An interesting book (or newspaper/magazine article) to read aloud
    -Flashcards or trivia questions on cards
    -extra worksheets, including some word searches, hidden pictures or coloring pages (younger grades)
    -handheld pencil sharpeners (this is a biggie... you would not BELIEVE how many times kids can visit the classroom sharpener, and sometimes they don't work)

EDIT:

This will be my third year subbing, and I don't ever need a lot of that stuff. I do, however, believe in being over-prepared rather than underprepared, so kudos. :thumb:

Some districts are different. I've encountered no lesson plans, or really sparse ones, quite often. I'm also the kind of person who likes EVERY.MOMENT filled with activity/work, so I like to have a lot of "just in case" things with me... just in case. Even simple things like trivia cards are good to have because you may have a few minutes before the bell to fill, or something like that.

Taking construction paper to work with me may be a bit much too much for me, but you never know. Most of the notes, brain teasers and stuff I take with me are just in regular notebooks, so nothing is too cumbersome.

Whatever works!

15. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Aug 14, 2010

Book to read
    School work for breaks (Graduate School)
    Lunch
    Water
    Carmex
    Pen/Paper
    iPod for breaks
    Cell Phone

16. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I carry one of those pencil bags that you clip in a binder and have to empty it out every couple of months because I pick up every stray pen and pencil that I find. The advantage of that is that no student has an excuse to not do his work--I always have a pencil handy.:lol: Also, deodorant b/c I forgot to put it on before work one morning and that was awful.