Substitute Teacher Application Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by maya5250, Dec 5, 2012.

1. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 5, 2012

Hi I was wondering if I get help with the wording of my substitute teacher application. I moved from Kentucky to North Carolina. I am currently applying for substitute teacher, teacher aide, and teacher positions. I am certified to teach middle school science (5-9) in Kentucky. So this application gives me cause to think because I have been on the teacher side of substitute teaching?

What is the primary role of a substitute?
    The primary role of a substitute teacher is provide instruction to students when the regular teacher is not available

What preparations are needed for a substitute day?
    I would go over the plans left by the teacher. Also, I would familiarize myself the locations of the bathrooms, lunch room and evacuation routes

What would you do if you found no lesson plan?
    I would contact present teachers/secretary about borrowing their teaching items and/or provide my own lesson plan to teach the students

What would you do with the class to open the day?
    I would introduce myself. Then, I would go over the tasks that they need to accomplish and the expected behaviors that I am looking for.

What do you do to ensure class control?
    I would go over the consequences set by the teacher. If there is not one present, I would go over my consequences. The clas

List three classroom rules that you believe are most important for your students to follow.

1. Be respectful to others
    2. Follow directions
    3. Always do your best

How do you handle difficult/confrontational discipline problems?
    I would calmly address the student and have a one-on-one conference with the student to determine the needs of the student. Also, I would provide positive reinforcements to deter the student's misbehavior.

How do you regain the attention of a class when it gets out of control?
    I would identify the students who are being on task and respond with positive reinforcement. Students who are being on task will be warned to be on task. I would provide positive reinforcements (ex. good note to the teacher, team-building activities at the end of class) to get the class under control

What information will you leave for the teacher at the end of your substitute day/period?
    I will leave a note about how the class progress in the work left by the teacher and how the classes behaved during my time there

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2012

Good luck.

4. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Dec 5, 2012

I wouldn't even bother to work for an outfit that asked a slew of questions of SUBSTITUTES, who get poor pay and no benefits.

Every school district I have dealt with simply has you apply to be on the sub pool, and that is that.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2012

On the other hand,it's nice to see a district who carefully selects their substitutes.

6. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 6, 2012

Thank you for your suggestions

7. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 6, 2012

I know it can be lower pay than being a teacher's job. However, it's a job that I am willing to jump through the hoops for. Plus, how many people out there believe that if you can't find a job, you can always sub. With so many people applying to substitute teaching, they can afford to be more selective in this economy.