Substitute Qualifications In Your District

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherApr, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 12, 2010

I'm curious as to what qualifications people need to have in your district to be a sub.

Coming from Washington, you MUST be a credentialed teacher to sub and you MUST take a 2 day long child abuse course.

When I moved to AZ, I was simply shocked to find out all you need is a high school diploma and some college credits. These college credits could be in underwater basket weaving and it wouldn't matter! This has always scared me with who I am leaving in my class. As teachers, we are told to stay in the library when our students are there with the librarian because she is a para but yet subs that have no education background can be left with my students?

I have had SEVERAL horrible subs in my classroom over the years. I ended up getting 2 of them banned from our school based on what happened in the classroom.

So, what are your districts qualifications?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

A pulse.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Okay, in all seriousness I think you must have sixty-four college credits. There is no training, nothing. Not even interviews. I turned in an application, and BAM!, I was a sub.

5. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

I am serious -- walking w/pulse. If we are really desperate, we may even roll or drag you in !! :crosseyed

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

We only require a background check to be put on the sub list. To sub more than 20 days in one room, one must be a certified teacher. Cerified teachers make more than non-certified. Most of our's are parents or grandparents of our students.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

Hahaha... we have one that can barely walk, so she is limited on where she is allowed to sub!

Our requirement is 60 hours of college credit.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2010

Only qualified teachers can be subs here. There is an application and interview process as well. It can be difficult to get onto the sub list in many of the larger school boards.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

60 hours of college credit (in anything), a background and TB check and that's it.

To work more than 20 days in one placement, you must be a certified teacher.

Certified or non-certified teachers who sub make the same salary.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

60 College Credits, Background check, TB test.

To long-term sub, you must be certified in the area

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010

A college degree in anything, pass the CBEST, background check. Our district also does an orientation with all the info about reporting suspected abuse, etc.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Oct 13, 2010

Two legs and a heartbeat, heartbeat optional.

In the entire district, we have a grand total of 1 who can help kids solve a 2 step equation.

13. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

Passing CBEST (basic education test) and a 4-year degree. In the larger districts, the list is full so it's hard to be a sub. For special ed and smaller districts, they'll take just about anyone. I applied to be a spec. ed sub in a moment of job desperation. They took my fingerprints and told me I would be in the system in a couple days. No interview, nothing.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 13, 2010

These are our qualifications:
    • 60 or more college credit hours
    • clear background check
    • substitute training class

Back when I subbed, most of the subs had teaching degrees. We were waiting around for job openings. Most all of the assistants were certified teachers as well.

Now most of our subs are either certified teachers, retired teachers, or are college students working on teaching degrees.

Over the years I've found that whether or not the person has a teaching degree hasn't mattered a lot with how well they did. I had a long-term sub who spent 45 days with my students, and he did a nice job. He had a degree in law enforcement, and he was subbing while waiting to take the state police exam. Several of the worst subs ever all had teaching degrees. None of them had been able to get teaching job, so they were subbing . . . poorly.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

VERY true... There was a gal I worked with at a tutoring center years ago and for the past TEN YEARS she had been a sub. Couldn't get hired ANYWHERE. And no, she did not want to be a sub. After working with her, I figured out why....:lol:

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 13, 2010

Our subs must be high school graduates and must have either 22 or 24 college credit hours in any subject. They also have to be fingerprinted and pass a background check.

17. aer011

aer011 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

60 hours of college credit and a 4 hour "training" class (basically consisting of: Show up and Don't abuse the kids.)

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

Our subs need their Bachelor of Education degrees.

19. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 14, 2010

It has changed since I became a sub. Then I just had to give my transcripts, fingerprint and background, TB test, and something from UNM-COE, it was a required part of my teaching program.

copied from APS.edu

Hiring Process for Substitutes

1. Apply online for substitute teacher positions at APS Jobs.
    2. Once your application has been completed with Applicant Processing and you have met all of the requirements, you are considered a substitute candidate.
    1. We will review your application and email you instructions for online substitute training.
    3. Complete all the online training.
    1. Print out the certificates of completion and bring them to the Substitute Services office.
    2. We will give you the authorization form to complete your Background and Fingerprinting check.
    4. Once we have received a clearance for your background check, we will contact you to schedule an orientation.
    5. Once you complete substitute orientation, we will help you apply for your substitute or educational assistant license.
    6. Once you have been recommended for hire, your paperwork will be processed through Human Resources, and you will receive an employee ID number.
    1. If you already have an APS employee number, it will still need to be processed by HR to correctly classify your status.
    2. You will be contacted once your paperwork has been processed.
    7. Register with SmartFindExpressThis is an external link. by calling 1-888-774-8042.
    1. You may now begin working and being paid as a substitute teacher.

What are the requirements for a Substitute?

All applicants must have effective communication skills and must demonstrate flexibility, organizational skills, and excellent interpersonal skills with a diverse population.
    Teacher Substitute

* Complete online application
    * Provide transcripts documenting 60 college credit hours
    * Provide 3 professional references (including a supervisor reference)

Educational Assistant Substitute

* Complete online application
    * Must be eligible for a Level 3 EA license
    o 48 approved college credits or pass the paraeducators test
    * Must be 18 years old to be eligible for elementary positions
    * Must be 21 years old to be eligible for secondary assignments
    * Provide 3 professional references (including a supervisor reference)

What is the salary schedule for substitutes?
    Visit the Substitute Salary Schedule to see salaries for substitute teachers.
    How do I apply for or renew a substitute license?

Contact the New Mexico Public Education Department at 505-827-5821 for information on applying or renewing a substitute teaching license.

APS has different types of subs, and different pays for those positions.

I'm secured (I'm a certified teacher) and automatic (I only work at one school).

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2010

90 college credits in whatever
    Background check including fingerprint
    A day of sub "training."

21. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

I guess you stated it right in the title, by district. I was going to say it varies a lot in Minnesota.

I live pretty rural, so the district has pretty low standards. By that I mean, their preferred people are cert teachers, then there are people that have passed a sub program out of college, then those with bachelor's degrees, and finally those with some college.

It's descending in order with pay to match, but you have to remember...it's hard enough to find and hire full time teachers in rural environments. Now imagine how many people want to just sub in a small town.

:p

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2010

In DE, you can hire subs with only a HS diploma. That means you can sub at 18, which I did, at my own HS. Where I taught in DE usually hired subs with a little more education, I believe. Or at least experiences.

In PA you have to be certified as a teacher or at least go through a guest teacher training program.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2010

California state law mandates CBEST (basic skills test) plus a bachelor's, but districts are free to require more, and these days many are demanding at least preliminary teaching credentials - except perhaps in high-need teaching areas (moderate-to-severe special ed?) or low-supply geographical areas.

24. Oksana

Oksana New Member

Oct 15, 2010

I want to ask, do you know such test as TKT? (Teaching Knowledge Test) Is it popular among teachers in the USA?

25. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Oct 15, 2010

A few years ago, I called in sick and they grabbed the first sub who was available.

It was the 18 year old boyfriend of one of my students.

26. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 15, 2010

I've never heard of it.

The common test here for knowledge of your content area is the Praxis II.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2010

In fact TKT is a test for teachers of English to speakers of other languages that was developed by the University of Cambridge (UK). I don't know whether it's in use in the US or not.

28. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Oct 15, 2010

High school diploma, background check, and youth protection class for a one day sub or aid sub. Must be a certified teacher to sub more than one day in a classroom.

29. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

The district where I student teach requires a bachelor's degree to even be considered. However, the district where I sub in requires 30 college hours, 2 hour orientation on how to use the system, fingerprints, and a background check. Some of the other subs I've run into have been horrible! It's pretty evident that not everyone takes the job seriously.

30. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

Take the job seriously?

Hell, I remember half the subs in my high school years just had to hit play on the VCR and put their feet up.

31. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

Subbing in high school and subbing elementary school are two completely different worlds. Think about a kindergarten class. You can't just pop in a video all day and expect them to sit still. There has to be a lot of different activities planned in order to keep their attention.

Also, I take my sub jobs very seriously. It's more than just a job for me. It's my time to build confidence teaching on my own, and it's my chance to prove myself to teachers and the admin of a lot of different schools. If they're impressed with me, I am one step closer to getting my own classroom.

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 16, 2010

HS diploma, online class. However nobody ever picks up my class since it's self-contained.

33. mfortheming

mfortheming Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

Currently I am subbing in a few districts in Illinois. Some only require a 4 year degree and others require a certificate. With so many teachers out of work, I appreciate those that do require certification as I find it a slap in the face to our profession. What I mean to say is that if a banker takes the day off I can't go in and do his job for the day, why should he be able to do mine? Not only that, but when I was teaching, having a sub was hard enough much less someone who does not know what they are doing and how to handle 30 some kids.

34. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 25, 2010

It's probably not the easiest thing though--to take your job very seriously. When all you have to do is show you have a pulse, and take home $80/day.

I'm not saying I don't give it my all... but what quality of teacher can you really expect for less than $100/day.

35. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, but that banker isn't REQUIRED to have someone in his exact place.

If you are REQUIRED to have someone in a room, no matter what, you're going to lower your standards. That's just life.

36. mfortheming

mfortheming Rookie

Oct 26, 2010

All the more reason to increase standards, but that is just my opinion.

37. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Oct 26, 2010

In my district, South Florida, all I needed was my college degree and to send them a copy of it with the application forms. I think they just required 60 college credits but I already had my Bachelor's when I applied for a sub. Anyway, after I got a call back, I was told to take a course in substitute teaching but it was only on three separate days, then that was it. I had to fill out Tax forms, get fingerprinted, then I got to sub.

38. ArtTeacherK

ArtTeacherK Rookie

Oct 26, 2010

I subbed at a school district in MA the summer before my senior year of college (I was 20 for a few days that I subbed, 21 for the rest of it). I also was on the sub list while I was student teaching my senior year so that if my mentor was out, I could stay in the class and actually get paid (that was a pretty sweet deal).