Substitute Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by CTteach16, Sep 3, 2006.

1. CTteach16

CTteach16 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

Hi-I'm a first year first grade teacher and I have to have a sub folder to the principal this week. Does anyone have any good activities that they've left for a substitute that have worked out well? Thanks!

3. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I put some weekly reader type of magazines in mine...and some coloring sheets, a list of 'academic' videos and where to find them...and some word search, crossword puzzles...oh and some math fact worksheets.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 3, 2006

If you use a basal for reading (or if you have one and don't use it), you can always pick one story that you're not planning to use during the year and leave it with some extension activities... that can take care of your writing and language arts. :) My CT had a funny poem to put up on the overhead, she had the kids copy it in their best writing and illustrate it for handwriting practice.

5. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

I have a general letter that says the daily routine, and a sentence that says follow my plans if you can and if you do not understand them, just skip them and let me know. There are extra worksheets, weekly readers in the basket and if you have something else you want to do go ahead. Keep everybody safe and have a good day.

I have extensive notes in all of my teacher's editiions about lessons and always lay out the materials for the week in baskets, so I'm very comfortable with just having the subs do what I would do. I work in a small district and know most of the subs and they are comfortable calling me if they have questions.

6. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 4, 2006

All of the other ideas sound good. I would include some read-alouds as well. Sometimes, if we ran out of time to do a worksheet, I would save it for a sub to do later as review. Maybe you could include some learning games, sight word bingo, or spelling games?

7. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Sep 4, 2006

I've been both a sub & full time teach, & here's something that works well for me. Check out your Teacher's Helper-type magazines. Find one that has several pages of activities tied to a book (hopefully one you already have). Make class sets of all pages, & tuck them & the book in your sub folder. This gives her a chance to read a great story to your kids, you end up with some gradeable work, and it stands alone, so it won't matter if you ever actually use it or not.