substitute job fair...anyone ever been to one?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kpteacher, Aug 9, 2009.

1. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I am going to a substitute job fair this week and I am wondering what to expect...thoughts?

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

no...never even HEARD of one.

But I have to smirk. The over-abundance of teachers is now getting to be so great that the have a job fair for subs.

I would assume you are going to be asked questions about classroom management and "what-if" situational scenarios.

Bring a resume..i guess.

Never heard of one. What area of the country is THIS in?

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

I've never been to one. I almost went to one last Friday. They wanted $45 to cover the paperwork in cash or m.o. I think I had to take my resume, certification, transcripts, copy of tb test and fingerprint records if I had them.

I decided not to go, partly because school doesn't start for another 4 weeks & I'm still hoping for a teaching job.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

kpa...

no. Sweetheart, if they are having a FAIR for subs...those pools are going to fill up fast!

Keep looking, yes. But don't wait!! Get on those lists NOW.

You can always call districts and say..."Gosh, got a job. Thanks for having me on the list, but I won't be needing it."

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

Yep, this is a sign of the times. I've been on 3 interviews and did a demo lesson to get on a long term sub list! The questions asked were the same as if it were for a permanent position. I would definitely go to the job fair and get on the list. Like McKenna said, you can always drop off the list when you land your own classroom! :)

7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Heard of substitute orientation, but never a substitute job fair. I think that's crazy.

I'll be going to two substitute orientations in a few weeks on the same day. They are the two school districts I subbed this past school year. However, one already knows I'm going to be student teaching for the first semester of the school year, assuming if I don't get a teaching job before the student teaching. I might as well go, sign up, and tell them what I'm going to be doing for the first semester of school.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2009

Woah, a SUB job fair huh?! Not only has there ever been a SUB job fair in my area, but I never even had to go on an interview to be a sub.

Good luck, dress nice, & bring plenty of resumes. Be prepared for common questions.

9. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

And yet, I heard on the news last night that certain business professionals are on a fast track system which will earn them their credential faster. In other words, their experience will expedite their navigation through the credential process.
    This was presented, once again, as IF there really is a great teacher shortage. While they add more and more hurdles to those of us who are either earning our credentials or clearing our credentials, it seems that simultaneously, they are making it easier for those who aren't going through all the hoops which we must go through.

The system seems to be going insane.

10. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

With every report like this... my heart sinks.

I simply DON'T know what it's going to take.

This summer...I've BEEN on interviews. Honestly - the ones i have gotten have all been through one district. The one I passed the screening interview (my student teaching district). But obviously..though THEY will give a pat "no no no you are an OUTSTANDING candidate" line... SOMETHING is not right.

I just don't think I'll get a teaching job... and then pile all the new teachers again in a few months... and now MORE professionals.

*sigh*

I don't WANT to just be that regular "oh, we have her again" sub.

That's fine for the old lady; the one with all the cats, who lives alone in that house on the corner. Or the woman whose husband is "doing SO well" that she doesn't HAVE to work (but whispers to me - while i ring up her groceries - "are they hiring here?")

But... (shoulders dropping again... as i say with a little less vim) I'm a teacher.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

You are a teacher. You are a teacher. You are a teacher. You are not meant to work at the grocery store (which there is NOTHING wrong with), you are meant to teach. You are meant to wake up early. You are meant to have early morning room duty. You are meant to teach for 6 or 7 hours. You are meant to plan on your own time. You are meant to go to staff development sessions on your own time. You are meant to have kids smile at you, kick you, call you names, and then see those same kids in that moment when they make a connection. You are meant to bring home papers to work on, and meant to spend your summers in class. It isn't all easy - But it is oh so worth it. Hold your head up high. You are a teacher.:) Even on the days you don't want to be. :rolleyes:

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

:)

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

There are several companies in the area that do this. I decided not to do this one. It's also one of the lower paying companies. Only paying $70/day, when there's districts that pay $85-100/day.

As I'm typping this I just got a call from yet another sub company. I have an interview with them on Wednesday. :)

15. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Well, sub is a good way to get to know the school and the grade level you want to teach. However a sub job fair is outrageous, I can't imagine. Gosh this job finding thing is driving me crazy.