Substitute Interviews

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chandralynn, Aug 28, 2006.

1. chandralynn

chandralynn New Member

Aug 28, 2006

So I graduated in May and am doing the sub thing in PA until I find a permenant position. I have sub interviews coming up this week and was wondering how sub interviews differed from full-time position interviews (I've had a mock and a two that didn't work out so I know what to expect there).
    Thanks a bunch!!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2006

They are more similar in most instances. Have you checked out the interview thread. It's extremely helpful.

4. chandralynn

chandralynn New Member

Aug 28, 2006

I will have to take a look at the interview thread. I've just registered with this site so I'm still figuring things out. Thank you SO much for your speedy and helpful response! I appreciate it! =)

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2006

Good Luck to you:)

6. charliekay

charliekay Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

why do you have to interview to sub? just wondering. no one has to interview for anything here. we just sign up and sub

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 28, 2006

Interviews for substitute teaching are usually fairly simple and basic. They will probably ask you about your educational background, classroom experiences, classroom management, how you expect to fulfill your role as a substitute. (Basically, substitutes teachers try to continue on with whatever the regular classroom teacher is doing.)
    Some schools don't even bother to interview substitutes. If your paperwork is all good, the board approves the list of subs and you are set to go.

8. chandralynn

chandralynn New Member

Aug 28, 2006

That's a huge help! I really just wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard that some schools just put you on the list w/o an interview and so I was thinking that maybe the interviews that I did have wouldn't be as indepth as full-time ones. Thanks a bunch!

9. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

Yeah, I am subbing for two different school districts here, and had not a single interview for a sub position.

There was an application and orientation, but that was it! I think most districts just like to make sure you're not a criminal or have a history of misconduct with a minor.

I had never heard of a sub interview before.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be hired!

10. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 28, 2006

I think it depends on the school district. I never had a sub interview until I went to a school district that wanted to hire me for a building sub. They asked about my background, what assessments I am familiar with, and if I was familiar with balanced literacy. Two other questions I was asked were, what would you bring less of to the classroom and what would you bring more of to the classroom?
    Best wishes. I think you will do great!!!

11. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

I agree, seems that it just depends on the district. Some districts where I live have monthly interviews they set up to do their sub interviews. Others just have you send in 2 reference forms filled out by former supervisors and then you are in the sub pool! Good luck :)

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2006

I had several sub "interviews" and none of them were real interviews. One was with a group of 20 other subs but the rest were one on one with the HR person and mostly just to sort though the paperwork (sometimes they have to see the original document) and some districts take pictures for a sub ID.