Substitute Help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by preschoolgal, Jul 31, 2007.

1. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I will be getting married in September and will be taking about a week off of work. Needless to say, I have never had a substitute in my room before so I was wondering what things I should leave for him or her to make this person more comfortable in my classroom.:thanks:

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

I think it's all in the details

detailed plans of what to do each day

detailed procedures of how the kids do things in the room (how to line up, what to do when they're finished, how to get ready for snack)

behavior management system

class list

name tags for the kids (for 1 day a sub can flounder on names, but if the same person will be there all week I think it would be a nice thing to help them learn names)

maybe a suggestion of a reward the sub can give if the students are well behaved- I know many teachers are tempted to say that the sub shouldn't NEED to give a "bribe" or something like that, but as a former sub I can tell you that sometimes I DID need it and it was kind of nice to have something to hold over their heads, since I didn't have that daily repoire with them)

list of people to go to for help

floor plan of the school

I'm sure there are a ton of others but that's all I can think of for now!

4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I'm also going to be out in September for my first planned absence. I think most of what you need has already been covered. I would just make sure to leave very detailed plans and include what to do in case they run out of things to do. Also, let the sub know about what to expect from students who might have behavioral problems.