Substitute Emergency Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rnhung, Feb 27, 2009.

1. rnhung

rnhung Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

Hello all,

I have my first few substitute assignments next week, but I am unlcear of what the teacher/school expects if no lesson plans were made.

I know that we can ask the teachers next door, the department head (for high schools), or even the office for activities, but if those fail? What lesson plans should be prepared, lets say for a 11th grade chemistry class?

I went through a few websites just now, and I jotted down the following:
    Have students...
    ...work on other classwork
    ...do silent reading
    ...write a short paper about <insert topic here>

But none of those really tie in to High School classes (except maybe English). So, how should I prepare?

Any input is appreciated.

3. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 27, 2009

Most of the time you will have teacher lesson plans left.....if you dont definitely ask the teachers near by or the office.....the teacher may have emailed them in last minute! :)

If you have nothing.....the students could read a chapter out of their textbook and outline the chapter or write something on the chapter......

Luckily in high school you only have about an hour per class so you only have to come up with something for an hour time slot.....I once taught 1st grade and had no lesson plans so I was trying to come up with stuff for the whole day! :dizzy:

4. rnhung

rnhung Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

Thank you. I was worrying so much I forgot most classes have textbooks.

Agh, I remember my time at highschool. Everytime we had a sub there would be half the class asking for hall passes.

=x

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 27, 2009

If your sub assignments are next week, the teachers should have things ready for you!
    Hopefully, your biggest problem will be keeping yourself busy (not bored) while the students work on their assignments.

6. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 28, 2009

Good point Glendall ~ I always like to have my assignments ahead of time.....if you accept a job the morning of then your more likely to not have plans ready for you!

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

That is right. If you have an assignment several days from now, the teacher planned to be out so will have detailed lesson plans for you.

You already listed the backups in the event the lesson plans could not be found. Do not hesitate to enlist help from the faculty.

Another idea you mentioned was have the students do silent reading. Do not place any hope in that option working. Those high school students will not sit there silently reading with a substitute in the room. To expect that will invite disappointment.

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 28, 2009

Or you can ask a neighboring teacher (who teaches the same grade level/or subject) if you can use their lesson plan.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

In my district, teachers have emergency plans on file in case something comes up suddenly and they can't get plans done for a sub. Subs should have a 'bag of tricks'- a good read aloud, a math game or problem solving- at least for subbing in elementary. For high school, I'd ask for emergency plans if nothing has been left for you or rely on department colleagues of the teacher for whom you are subbing as suggested by the previous post...

10. rnhung

rnhung Rookie

Feb 28, 2009

Thank you everybody. You have no idea how relieved I am to read that there will most likely be plans left.

Haha, I sure hope so.

Thank you for the heads up! You're right -- when I was a high school student, I never had any spare reading books in my backpack. Silent reading would not go well.

Thank you everybody for your help!

11. southside

southside Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

What I would do if there was not assignment I would get a textbook and go into a chapter let them read it and do the questions at the end and turn in assignment that way I know who did their work and write names down for the teacher to take care of who did not do work.
    Southside