Substitute Caught in Middle of Strike

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Lys228, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Lys228

Lys228 Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

I was just hired to work as a substitute teacher about 1 month ago. Rumors have it that there is a strike that may happen within the next couple of weeks. I was asked to substitute while the strike is in action. I agreed to work - as I was just hired and I need the $. I don't know what to do because I eventually want to be hired by the school district and would like to work for the union eventually - I also don't want to be hated by the teachers (possibly my future collegues!). Can someone PLEASE let me know your thoughts??? I don't know where I stand becasue I feel as if I'm caught in the middle of a political war and no clue which side to turn to...ANY ADVICe????

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

Uh, they won't hate you. They understand your position.

I was hired 4 years ago to work in this district. My first year there, I was on my year one probation. The teachers went on strike. I felt bad that I couldn't help out and participate, but that would have made me look really bad and could have jeopardized my future. Many teachers told me not to feel bad, that they totally and completely understand.

4. Lys228

Lys228 Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

I'm terrified of being called a "Scab" and walking past the picket line. Do you have any advice for me??? I don't want to be blacklisted or go against anyone or any cause - I just want to work and be in a classroom.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 13, 2010

My own feelings about teachers going on strike aside, I would think that they would understand your position and not hold it against you.

6. ecl

ecl Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

Just picture yourself in the position of being a striking teacher. You may actually be in that position some day. You would be forgoing your paycheck over something you felt very strongly about.

How would you feel about substitutes crossing your picket line and working in your place?

Answering this question will provide an answer to your dilemma.

7. ms.

ms. Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

Name-calling or unkindness never solves problems. If we expect students to not bully, we shouldn't bully either. (This might sound harsh, but it's what I believe.)

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

If I were in the position of striking, and I saw subs going in to teach, I wouldn't think badly of them at all!!!

And, why are you so worried about what the teachers think and would do to you? Hiring is up to the admins and HR.

9. ecl

ecl Rookie

Mar 14, 2010

How can asking the original poster how she would feel in the same situation be considered name calling or bullying?

I know this is a charged subject, but let's keep to a rational discussion.

The poster has a legitimate concern. She hopes to work with the people whose picket line she crosses.

10. ms.

ms. Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

The original poster was worried the striking teachers might call her a scab (name-calling.) I'm not going off topic; I was attempting to say that name calling or bully-like behavior is not acceptable. I don't know why anyone would disagree with my comment.

I should have been more specific. :blush: I didn't mean the person posting the comment was name-calling/bullying. Rather, I meant it's unacceptable for striking teachers to resort to this behavior. (Sorry for the mix-up.)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

She said she was worried about being blacklisted. That was where my comment came from. Teachers don't choose who to hire, the HR does.

Lys- when you go to sub, don't worry! Do your best job, focus on your work. That's all you can do. I'm sure you will be fine! Let's give teachers some credit here, they won't resort to name calling. THey just want to get the admin to address their concerns, not cause subs to hate them.

12. ecl

ecl Rookie

Mar 14, 2010

I misunderstood. Sorry on this end also.

While this may be true in a perfect world, I have seen strikes where picket line behavior has gotten quite nasty. Let's paint a realistic picture here so that this poster can make an informed decision.

13. ms.

ms. Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Websites like this scare me. http://haywardteacherscabs.blogspot.com/

But, I think a lot of this depends on the state/district. Also, I know some teacher strikes are outside the district office, instead of outside the school.

14. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Contact the union and get their position about substitute teachers crossing the line.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 14, 2010

I agree with the poster who indicated that hiring is up to admin and HR. And, my guess is that working while the teachers are on strike may even gain you some points in that realm.

Teachers are choosing to go on strike. That's not your fault. Your responsibility is to pay your own bills and support your family if you have one.

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 14, 2010

Its sad that whoever maintains this website has nothing better to do with his/her time.

17. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Mar 22, 2010

I say take all the work you can get! If the teachers in your district are decent, they won't bother you. If they harass you, then you don't want to work along-side them, anyway.

I'm not trying to start anything, here, but boy, it sure would be nice to have a full-time job to go on strike FROM! In this economy especially, people with jobs should be counting their blessings.

No one has any right to judge you for actually WORKING.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 22, 2010

I personally find that website to be twisted and sick. Seriously?! :eek: Regardless of that person's reasons for striking, after that website, I would never want to hire that person EVER. Wow, what a lack of humanism. Sick and definitely unprofessional. :dizzy:

I can't imagine most people to be like that but then again, I've never witnessed a strike. I can't offer true experience or any informed advice.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2010

You posted this in the General Ed section of this thread too. I already posted there, but here's what I think: :)

If I were you, I wouldn't let a strike come between me & my dreams. If I really need the money & hope to someday be a permanent teacher at that district, I wouldn't want to strike & risk being blackballed against. Plus, the strike may not even result in what the intended purpose is anyway, so in the end, you could be looked at in a negative light, be blackballed against ever having a future w/ that district & still not get the result you want from striking. That's a lose-lose situation all around.

Maybe if you were just hired to be a permanent teacher, the situation would be different, but you're a sub trying to get your foot in the door.

I'm personally a religious person, so I'd still work & pray that everything goes well. If not, it wasn't meant for me anyway & God has a better plan for me.