Substitute Career Changer

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by gponto18, May 3, 2008.

1. gponto18

gponto18 Rookie

May 3, 2008

Hi all,

Career changer here with some doubts and concerns about my decision to potentially pursue teaching.

First off, I have a B.S., Information Systems Major, and an A.A., Liberal Studies Major. Not long ago I got my first taste of, and fell in love with teaching after working as an adjunct instructor at a nearby technical college. Since then I have passed the CBEST and the first of three (studying for the other two) Science CSET tests.

I was planning on quitting my full time job to pursue substitute teaching while I complete my credential or find an internship position but I am concerned:

#1 - Is it reasonable to expect to sub at least 3 days a week (preferably more)?

#2 - With the recent California Budget Crisis and all this talk about cutting the state education budget, would it be unwise to pursue teaching as a sub at this time?

#2.a - After the budget announcement, I have noticed the substitute teaching job offerings appear to have dried up. Is this just a coincidence since summer is approaching?

#3 - While I am confident I can pass the Science CSET, will the fact that my B.S. degree is not in a hard science prevent me from obtaining work even if I complete a credential program?

I guess I need some reassurance or advice here. I don't want to leave my career and crawl through a desert only to find that the oasis is a mirage.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2008

Have you got coursework and labs in the hard science you're taking CSET Science Subtest III in? If so, I would expect you'd be quite hireable.

4. gponto18

gponto18 Rookie

May 3, 2008

Yes, during my A.A. I took a course in Anthropology an Earth Science (or some variation thereof) with a Geology Lab course. At the University level I took a course in Planetary Science.

This is only 4 classes in total though, 3 semester and 1 quarter. I hope its enough.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2008

You're planning to teach earth science, then?

Anthropology is generally considered a social science for credentialing purposes. You might consider taking a class with lab in biology or chemistry so you've got a bit more lab experience under your belt. The fact remains, though, that science is one of the areas in which demand generally outstrips supply.

6. gponto18

gponto18 Rookie

May 3, 2008

I was afraid of that, ironic really since the coursework was almost entirely genetics.

I would be more than happy to take some additional science lab courses; I always enjoyed science and would consider additional classes in that area more fun than work. I would prefer is possible to take community college science and labs though due to their dramatically reduced cost, would that be acceptable?

Either way though, the only way this is even a possibility is if I quit my full time job and sub; and hopefully get a minimum of 10 calls a month. Is this possible?

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

Here, to be considered highly qualified you would have to have 24 credits in the specific subject.

8. gponto18

gponto18 Rookie

May 3, 2008

Interesting...

In California, almost every teacher position posting I have seen follows this format:

"NCLB compliance preferred / copy of CSET if applicable"

To my knowledge, by California's standards, passing the CSET for the subject you wish to teach is sufficient for demonstrating NCLB/Highly Qualified compliance but I very well could be wrong.

Does anyone know for sure?

I would consider going for a Multiple Subject Credential to teach K-6 given that my General Education college courses may carry more weight if I have to.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2008

You're going to be a lot more marketable in science, gponto18. And I didn't mean you need to take the lab units this minute.

10. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 4, 2008

You can most likely expect to work ten days a month although this time of year is very slow for subs.

11. gponto18

gponto18 Rookie

May 4, 2008

Thanks for all your helpful replies everyone!

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 4, 2008

I would say if you have several schools where you can sub and are proactive in your efforts, that you can easily sub 3 days a week. I sub at one school an I am very busy. Keep in mind the school holidays and district wide in-service. Don't just figure there are 20 working days in each month. Some places have that holiday no pay rule where if you take off (as a teacher) you don't get paid for the holiday. In this case it is light around the holiday.

Oh, I am in Texas

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 4, 2008

TG gave you some great advice.

I have to add something else. You are stating that you would need to sub in order to have the time to take your classes. Realize, too, that the added benefit from subbing is exposure, connections, and experience. This will help you a ton. I am a career changer too and I know that I would not be teaching this fall if I had not subbed as I am alternatively certified in a low needs area, elementary ed., in a district that sort of poo poo's it

Best of luck to you!!

Lemon

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

well it is may ,of course, and I have subed for 2yrs and I get anywhere from 3-5 days a week. This mo. I only had 1 day a week off day,but could of worked 5 days but i need at least one day off some weeks to wash clothes and do other erronds.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

Also, I am going into education also special needs. Teaching is a blessing! I love being a sub and I love my students that I regularly sub for and I know I will love Teaching.