Substitute Bag Ideas. . .

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by anewstart101, Sep 15, 2008.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

My first day of subbing is Friday and I'm scared!

I heard it is good to have a resource bag but

what goes in it?

Ideas??

I am mainly subbing in lower elementary school right now. . .I want to stay in elementary to be honest!

What do I need???

:thanks:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2008

Stickers are helpful. Activity sheets of various sorts are very useful - there may be kids in K-6 who turn up their noses at an opportunity to color, but there aren't very many. It makes sense to have a class set, so to speak, of each sheet since you can't count on getting to make copies. (If a school DOES let you make copies, do so.)

Others are likely to have even better ideas, but perhaps this will break the ice.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 15, 2008

Children's books to read to the class are very popular with the little ones. I love almost anything by Eric Carle.

5. subincali

subincali Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

I have been subbing for three years now and have never needed anything from the "bag." lol. I did make one at first but now i just make sure i have a clean sheet of paper to write a note on! :) If there is any extra time to be filled, I just have the students do SSR/Silent Reading, catch up on a lesson that was not finished, read a book to the class (younger students), or free time (if a small amount of time and deserved).

6. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Sep 15, 2008

I had stickers, books (with easy follow-up activities), a few riddles and problem solving sheets, a whistle and a soft ball for a few different games.

I never used it for pre-planned days, only those days where you are called 10 minutes before/after school has started!

7. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

Some basics:

Pens the you like (don't forget red)
    pencils already sharpened for the perpetually sharpening students.
    Advil (for you only)
    Feminine Supplies if applicable
    safety pins
    tissues
    post it notes
    highlighter
    your own chalk/eraser and/or white board markers/erasers
    scissors
    glue stick
    calculator
    A whistle (playground/PE you never know,right??)

That's all I can think of right this minute...

TAKE DEEP BELLY BREATHS - it will help you stay calm. Don't worry. Just do your best, you can not demand more from yourself, right? Good Luck!

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 15, 2008

I also carry a couple of Expo markers for dry erase boards.

HINT - Don't ever use a permanent marker on a dry erase board. And - don't ever use ANY kind of marker on a Smart Board.

9. stepka

stepka Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

If you subscribe to this book catalog, you'll get free high quality coloring sheets for the kids: http://www.doverpublications.com/teachersampler/0826/ I get these in my mailbox about once a week and then if you have kids who finish their work early you can hand them out. I also keep a madlibs book in my bag and a list of "sponge" activities. You can google that and get dozens of hits, but basically it's a list of short activities that you can do with the kids first thing to get the day started. Eg. Write the names of as many states as you can remember, name your first five children you plan to have (I did this one and they loved it.), make up names for rock groups, etc. These are esp good if you're trying to get a movie up and running and things aren't going smoothly and you need to keep them busy while you try to figure things out and they're too big for coloring sheets.

10. Call_Me_Hester

Call_Me_Hester Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Hope it's okay to piggyback off this great question. What about a sub bag for the older students? I only sub at the high school level.

11. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Sep 16, 2008

I have stickers, books, coloring pages, flashcards, magnetic letters and numbers. Snacks, a bottle of water and a Campbells "Soup at hand".

12. forensicteacher

forensicteacher Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Sub bag

For elementary, I carry books that I can read for pk-5. I also carry white paper, so they can draw about the story (pk-k) and line paper so they can write about the story.
    I also do art projects. I find simple ones that only needs paper, pencil/crayons and a lot of imagination (I see the crayola website for ideas).:)

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 16, 2008

I have subbed for going on 3yrs as of 2008-2009 school yr and have not needed a grab bag. I want to say please don't be nervious if you are ment to be around or work with children you will do great! I was so nervous on my 1st day in a reg. elem class. Elem. kids will pretty much follow you like a puppet in the fact that even if they are bad they will take the punishment(maybe with rolling eyes, bad word, or something else but they will take it ) or send them to the office they will go unlike highschool who might just get in there car and leave. Can you guess I only sub elem.? lol haha

14. pjlmom

pjlmom Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

sub bag for high school

High school

I bring: Tick tack, water, paperclips, dry eraser markers, pens , big thick elementary pencils or golf pencils to share, sticky notes , tissues, clips , tack to put up sign ( Bring your books to class today), referrals, and some band aides.

5 min. fillers
    sudoku puzzles, riddles, geometric or optical allusion coloring sheets, trivia questions. Those who get the answers right get a tootsie pop

I tell them if they all complete their work I will let them talk for the last ten min. or they can listen to their i pods. If they talk during class or don't do their work we will work right up to the bell.

Those individuals who get work done early can do homework, read or I will provide them with a 5 min. filler. They can not disrupt those around them.

15. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

For older kids:
    I still say stickers!! I agree with the above poster and all of their puzzle type activities. In addition to candy for treats. Even a really good book! Even if you can only read the first chapter it may inspire the kids to check it out of the library to read it on their own.