Substitue Teacher Folder Ideas for K

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kinderkids, Jul 8, 2005.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

Substitute Teacher Folder Ideas for K

Hello! I am looking for some activity ideas to put in my sub folder this year. Always seems like I worry every year when an emergency comes up and can't be with my kidos! I would like some fun activities to put in an emergency folder for my sub so that whoever comes in can feel at ease and have a great day or two! Any subjects you have activities for would be great! I'd like to keep it as simple and self-explanatory as possible! Keep in mind this is for Kindergarten. Thanks! :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2005

Alphabet Bingo
    Colors Bingo
    Shapes Bingo
    Bang (sight word game)
    Around the world (use letters and numbers)
    later in the year sight word bingo
    have several books for read aloud and activities to stretch them out (story stretchers, more story stretchers, story stretchers for the primary grades)

For our 2nd grade team we put together an "emergency sub box" incase someone is out and either didn't have their plans or they were out longer than anticipated. In it we put alot of activities like those that I mentioned above (only for 2nd grade) and one teacher is responsible for keeping the box and making sure that it's available for whoever has a sub. It worked out great when I woke up sick one morning and the plans were there but the sub didn't know how to follow them (they were out of subs that day, I had a janitor filling in). The teacher next door gave them a couple of handwriting activities and some story stretchers and checked on them frequently. Also gave my kids a lecture so they knew I would call her and ask how they had acted. Hope these help :)

4. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 8, 2005

We have a large binder and have dividers for every two months. Because the students need more difficult work at the end of the year. You could pull some worksheets and organize them based on themes you cover each month. You could also put a list of books and activities to go with the books. This year I left a book title and patterns to make puppets based on the book. The activity took them all morning and the sub said their plays were great! Just a thought..

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for the ideas.........I work at a parochial school so finding good subs is sometimes really hard. They often have a hard time following the lesson plans or don't feel they have enough extra to do. The emergency sub box is a fantastic idea! I will be putting one of those together for sure. I've been teaching for 12 years and never thought of that.........sheesh! I am going to pass that idea on to my fellow coworkers! The puppet idea is also great........I know how much my kids enjoy making those,too. It would work great with my author study each month. Thanks to you both!