subs/teachers what we wish each other new...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mrs. Toby

Mrs. Toby Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I once had a sub when I was teaching high school who worked in our building often but I had never had in my room. The day I came back I opened my desk drawers and couldn't find anything! I asked myself out loud what had happen and a student who over heard me said, "The sub said your desk was disorganized so she fixed it for you." I was seeing red because I am a very organized person, my desk is usually a clean and orderly workspace. I couldn't believe she had "organized" ALL of my desk drawers! So subs, please don't take it upon yourself to go through my things, everything you need will be on my desk and readily available to you.

2. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 16, 2009

WOW!! If a sub could not follow those plans then he/she should not be working!! That is the type of sub who gives us good subs a bad name!! :mad:

3. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

Well, I did something wrong with my last post. I tried copying part of another person's post and somehow it blended with mine. The point I was trying to make is I don't think it is the teacher's fault if the class does not behave. A few have suggested it is. I have tried everything I can think of to make sure my class behaves but I am so open to any ideas anyone has. I appreciate the people that sub so much. I want them to WANT to come back. I am embarrassed when my class acts terrible and they do sometimes. Of course I have some that are good.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 16, 2009

I leave detailed sub plans and I have an aid in my room.
    I like all the subs that have subbed for me except one problem with one. I was out a few weeks ago. I have a child who wears a weighted vest, she let him take if off..She said "Is that bothering you? of course he replied "Yes," and so he took it off. Apparently it was a pain to put it back on him. We do give him breaks without it on.

I always leave extra work and I am never upset if everything doesn't get complete. I know how hard it is teach 24 5 year olds.

I like when the sub leaves me notes about how the day went.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2009

How nice, AMK, to have an aide...I know that when I had one that was a big weight off my mind when I had a sub as my para could have run things on her own...
    Did your aide tell the sub the importance of the weighted vest?

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 16, 2009

Yeah she tried but really the woman is crazy. Always complaining about our classrooms. I feel bad when my aid has to deal with her!

When I was out for a week with my mom my aid was a god send. She did a great job and the sub they got me was wonderful.

7. teachbugz

teachbugz Rookie

Feb 17, 2009

Firm student, Firm Sub

Once I subbed at a magnet school (in name only), where a female student claimed the regular teacher let her use the teacher's edition
    to do her classwork. I didn't believe her and I had to call Security to have this student removed because she tried to snatch the book from me. When Security arrived, the girl still refused to give me the book and she was sent out. Later, Security told me the female student had some unresolved issues, but the regular teacher never left a note claiming this student needed to use the teacher's edition to do her classwork. So I understand your position, regarding students telling subs what the regular teacher does is pure nonsense.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2009

I always tell the students that I go strictly by the teacher's notes. So, if the teacher "just moved them yesterday", I ask them to sit where I have them on the seating chart, or whatever issue it is. If it'snot in the notes, then I don't/can't take their word for it.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2009

I have had a student tell me the teacher lets him use the teacher's edition book, too. I said, "Sorry, your teacher didn't say anything about it in his notes, so I can't allow that."

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 20, 2009

*reading thread so that I can become a better sub*
    I realize that I've made some mistakes as a sub.

11. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 21, 2009

Webmistress, how do you feel you made mistakes and is there any way the teacher could of helped you not make those mistakes? I always want to improve my sub plans so the sub can be successful.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 21, 2009

Arky,
    Well, after I take attendance I usually send it to the office. I would not leave a note for the teacher of who was absent unless she requested it.
    I also made a mistake by telling one class that they didn't have to do the bottom of the math pages (you know the Writing in Math part--3rd grade), they were complaining and I gave in. ooops. When I realized my mistake I told them to do the full page when they get to the last page of the assignment.
    The teacher could have left specific numbers to do, such as 1-20 or "all." But I won't do that again.....still learning.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

Webmistress,

As long as we learn from our mistakes, we are doing good. That goes for any person of any profession...

14. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 21, 2009

Webmistress,
    Don't be so hard on yourself! All the teacher could do would be to give the page back to the students to finish. Anyway it sounds like you care about what you are doing and are looking for ways to improve your skills. I would be delighted to have you come and sub for me! (But you may not want to come back after spending the day with my kids:lol:)