Subs plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by REW, Dec 23, 2019.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Dec 23, 2019

I teach Pre-K within a public program. My assistant received a promotion to a lead teacher at another school. I am super excited for her!! In January, I will be training a new assistant. I will also be out for a week and half to deal with a personal matter. The new assistant and sub will not have training on the curriculum we use.

I am looking for tips and tricks to create awesome sub plans that can easily be implemented. I don’t want to lose out on a week and half of curriculum and documentation. I know they’ll hold down the fort. I am afraid to overwhelm them though from a curriculum standpoint.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2019

Simplify the main curriculum concepts into things that many adults already know, see if you can find varied ways to approach these concepts, which will allow learning to continue. If you can get several of the concepts being taught over that time frame, your students will not be set back to any appreciable degree. When you return, you will swing into actions and training will take place and your students will already be acclimated to your new staff, which is an adaptation in and of itself.

4. REW

REW Rookie

Dec 24, 2019

Did you use your regular lesson plan format or did you change the format to be super specific with times and so forth?

ie:
    8-8:15 these activities
    8:15-8:30 read around ask these questions
    Do this transition activity
    Large group - do these activities/ask these questions

Etc....

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2019

The latter. These people are willing, but maybe not well versed on the timing, what it means. You are giving them a boost of confidence by leaving them the kind of lesson plans they can be truly successful at. Just a suggestion, one old sub who is now a teacher often dealing with new employees such as this: Somewhere near the end of the first day's agenda, thank them for trying to stay with the plans without the benefit of training. Throw them a bone - "If the kids went home with a smile on their face, you did a great job!" or some version of that. They are filling in without training and without you, so they are going to try hard, and the outcome might be a little different than what you would have done, but if your hiring instincts were spot on, they are going to try hard to make you happy. I know that I would have killed for a good "well done" when I was first learning.