Subs in NY...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MissPapa, Jan 8, 2014.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jan 8, 2014

Hey guys, been a while. Been very busy with my long-term sub assignment. It ended before Christmas break.

So I haven't been back to work. At all. School started again last Thursday. Last Thursday night/Friday we had a blizzard. Monday I had a job interview. All the other days I was able to work, I got absolutely nothing, not even a random call from SubCentral or from the school I worked at.

I remember last year, I was able to get jobs when we came back from Christmas break.

Anyone else in NY (or even any state) dealing with this? I'm so frustrated, I have been without an income for 3 weeks...

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2014

I'm in a similar situation. I finished my LTS on December 17th. I found jobs on the 18th and 19th really easily, and I was supposed to go back for our party on the 20th.

We had a snow day the last day in December (20th) and we've had snow days for the last 3 days. I'm REALLY hoping for school tomorrow- I budgeted for two weeks off, not three!

Since we're not back yet, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get jobs. I sort of stole one for the next two days :blush: It came up in Aesop and when I clicked accept, it had a note attached requesting someone specific. I hit cancel. I thought for a minute and took it anyway. If the teacher and sub did it correctly, it wouldn't have even popped up for me to see. So I figure either the teacher doesn't have that sub as preferred, the sub declined it, or the sub didn't accept it before it went out to everyone. Not my fault. But I still feel guilty.
    I know when I taught (we used a program called SAM, not Aesop), if I was out last minute, I'd put my preferred sub's name in hoping for her, but she was usually already booked. I'm hoping this situation was similar.
    I was really worried about getting a job for tomorrow after practically 3 weeks off! I know I would have had to practically be dead to miss the first day back after that amount of time.

I know back when I subbed in 2006 and 2007, the time between Christmas break and the end of the semester was slim pickings. I only subbed for one district then, and I also worked full time retail, so it wasn't a big deal. I'm in for almost 20 districts now and I have no other job- I have to work!

4. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jan 8, 2014

Thanks giraffe326. I'm hoping it picks up. I have three jobs from Jan 21-23, but still. Or who knows, maybe I'll get that job I interviewed for and don't need to worry about subbing anymore >_< (the job is exactly like my 3 month LTS assignment, so I HAVE to have a good chance!)

I'm probably checking SubCentral at 5 later as well. Need an income after 3 weeks!!!!!

I'm never going to forget last year when I missed a week due to Hurricane Sandy.

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jan 9, 2014

Well, I got a job for tomorrow and was put on some sub lists when I went to hand in resumes at a few schools. They said subbing will pick back up again :)

6. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Jan 10, 2014

Same boat over here. I started the year off with a leave replacement and now I'm back to waiting for the phone to ring. It will definitely pick up again... but I know how frustrating waiting around can be. I've been using my time at home to update my resume and cover letter. Makes me feel somewhat productive at least.

7. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jan 10, 2014

Same thing in PA Miss Papa. Worked every day as a sub up until Christmas. Got two days last week after New Years... This week was a different story! Worked Monday but Tuesday/Wednesday school was canceled (nice for everyone else to be excited but WE don't get PAID!) and haven't found anything for the rest of the week.

My bills for the end of the month are scaring the crap outta me! Looks like I'll be going to the money tree in the back yard... HA HA!

Like CrayolaCrayon said, it's time to use to update our resumes, looking for jobs, etc. Not that that makes anyone any money though! Hope it picks up for everyone! : )

8. bora

bora Rookie

Jan 11, 2014

I live i CT. I have another job, so during holidays, winter and spring breaks, or summer, I work there. Still it wasn't that bad here, at least for me. I worked 5 days this last week.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2014

I've picked up Monday and Tuesday at the school I was a LTS at. SOOO glad to be going 'home' for a few days!
    So, luckily, I've been able to work every day that we've had school so far.... And in elementary, too! (I don't mind subbing at my old high school, but I'm not super comfortable subbing at other high schools...)