Subs, How do YOU handle disruptive behavior??

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teachnfl, Oct 20, 2007.

1. teachnfl

teachnfl Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

:confused: So, you've explained the rules/ expectations to the class!
    The goal: To complete ALL classwork assigned by your teacher while on your best behavior.
    Then, one student begins to disrupt the class.
    How do you handle this student's disruptive behavior? It seems to me that the first step would be seperation/ time-out from the class to reflect and if the behavior continues then...to the OFFICE. We need to maintain a conducive learning environment the rest of the class who is 'on-task'! We know, as subs, that the students will test us! The question is 'How do you handle the students who choose to act disruptive (even after hearing the expectations)---How do you handle the 'testers'?

REG. TEACHERS: How would you want the substitute to handle your students' behavior?

3. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Oct 20, 2007

If anyone causes any trouble for the sub, I want their name on a list. The list is not up for discussion, the sub's word is final, and students on the list get detention. At the end of detention, I'm willing to discuss the situation with the student. I tell the students this from day one. Subs have a hard enough time without having to deal with disruptive kids.

The teacher should have a sub folder with more than enough work for the students to do.

db

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 20, 2007

It depends on the grade level. For lower elementary I would expect the sub to use good classroom management techniques before resorting to calling the office. Things such as positive reinforcement, redirection, using your voice and body language to capture their attention, considering transition times, etc.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2007

I normally follow the teacher's behavior plan. Whatever they do for disruptive behavior is what I do when I'm in the classroom. Then I make sure that I leave the students name, behavior, and consequence in my report. I've subbed in 4th grade the past two weeks...and have not had a problem. Something I do is put my name on the board with 5 stars around it. If they are on their best behavior, then they have 5 minutes of free time at the end of class. If they are not behaving, then I erase a star..and then what they have left is the time they have for free time. Also a friend of mine gave me these suggestions: play four of a kind with 2 decks of cards. Give cards randomly. Students get cards for being on task and behaving aappropriately during the time they are in the classroom. Students try to collect "four of a kind" to have a suit. They are to hold onto the all of their suits they have earned until the end of the day. One earned suit is exchanged for a small treat. Another one is Post-It Taboo..you hand out three post-its with your signature to each student. Students that are not on task or behaving correctly will get a post-it taken away. If a student slips up then you get the post-it..if they are mean to another student, then that student gets their post-it. The student with the most post-its at the end of class gets a prize. You might also want to pull that student aside and tell him that their behavior is inappropriate and that the teacher WILL know.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 20, 2007

This is my policy also. We have many subs that have worked in our building for years and that are retired teachers - those subs do write up students from time to time. The last time I needed a sub, the sub left a note that my last hour was a little chatty. My last hour had the priviledge of a pop quiz as a result of their behavior towards the sub.

7. teachnfl

teachnfl Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

:eek: I bet they will be on their best behavior next time!
    Is it fair to punish the whole class? Certainly some of the students were ON TASK---how much attention should be paid to the students doing the right thing?

Everyone has great responses! Keep 'em coming! :up:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2007

Well, you should always try to use positive reinforcement to get EVERYONE on task. By pointing out that so-and-so is ready, doing a great job, on task...or Table A is quiet, everyone on the right page, doing a good job, I have found that the others quickly follow.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 20, 2007

It was very easy to tell the ones that did and complete their work. They scored 100% on the test. ;) It was no skin off their nose to take a pop test because they did the right thing and completed their work. So, I am not so sure that they viewed an easy A as punishment. It was not a surprise to me which students scored well and which students did not.

10. Subbing1

Subbing1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

Check your PMs (Private Messages).

11. teachnfl

teachnfl Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Thanks, Subbing1! :)