Subs have you have had to get a sub for some reason...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 13, 2009

Subs has there ever been a time where you had to get a sub for yourself. For example, maybe you were working a long term sub job and got sick during it and had to call one, or maybe you were just unable to make it the whole day at one job and had to call one for a half day for afternoon. I once got a terrible migrane(I say migrane cuz' it was worse then a headache) and thought I was going to half to go home mid day and almost said I will go call you another sub, on top of that I was one on one aide for the day with a very trying special needs boy. Kindergarten student who acted like a 3yr old literrly who has ADHD and got into the floor several times pouting and crying just like a toddler/preschooler would. So Subs tell your story of why you had to get another sub to sub for you.

3. jjmommy

jjmommy Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

I just had to do that a couple of weeks ago...it was a bummer. My boys both came up with the H1N1 on a Thursday night and I had a requested assignment for Friday. I cancelled late thursday eve through AESOP and come to find out later....there were no subs to cover that Friday! :eek: A retired teacher came in the morning and the music teacher in the afternoon. I felt so bad! As soon as I knew I had to cancel, though, I left the teacher an e-mail and a voice mail for the school secretary. Luckily, it is my regular school and they know me and my kids very well and that I would never cancel unless I had to. I made a point to speak to the teacher the next week and she was very understanding....

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Nov 14, 2009

I was doing a long term sub job last year, and got very sick during it. I knew that I would have to be out the next day, so I told them in the office. Luckily, the school had an intern and she was not booked for that day, so when I called it into the sub system I was able to request her. It is a large school system and you rarely see the same sub more than once, so it was good that those kids got someone they were familiar with, since I was already a "replacement" to them.

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 14, 2009

In my area interns "student teachers" as we call them are NOT allowed to sub if the teacher they are STing for is out they must get a sub.

6. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Nov 14, 2009

Interning is different here. There are a couple of colleges that have programs set up with school districts where they place you with the school district in a school as an intern for the year, and the district pays for your college classes. This is what I did for my Masters program. Basically they can use you as a sub (we always thought this was weird that you could sub as an intern but not as a student teacher), to work with small groups, cover meetings, and basically do the grunt work that no one wanted to do. After I finished my intern year, I student taught for 12 weeks at a different school. I also could not be left alone when my cooperating teacher was not in the room for an extended period of time.

7. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Nov 14, 2009

I've subbed for LT subs before. The assignments just came up with the name of the regular teacher. One said "vacant" so I had no clue what I was subbing for until I got to the school.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

I was once called in for a sub who got sick on the way to the school.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 15, 2009

Yes, a couple times in my yrs of LT subbing, I've had to have a sub, but I'm not the one in charge of seeking a sub out. I just tell the subcaller that I'm sick or whatever on this date & they find someone to fill in, then I just continue again.

10. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 16, 2009

This happened to me last February when I walked out my door to leave for work, only to discover some dips##t had burried a stray cat I had been taking care of in motor oil.
    I decided on the way to work that I could not leave the cat like this, so I asked the secretary to get a sub for me.
    It took the replacement sub an hour to get to my class, so I worked the first hour for free and then left.
    I lost $140 I could never get back, while my replacement got paid for the whole day.

How many jobs are there where you lose an entire day's pay if you have to leave? Not many, but subbing is one of them.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

That is so true oldstudent and I am sorry about your cat.