subs, field trips, and inside recess...oh my

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bethechange, Sep 17, 2013.

1. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

This year I have two really intense 1:1 support needs kids that I cannot put with subs ever, at all. To that end, I have made us a separate "sub schedule" to use whenever one of us (myself or classroom paras) are out so that those two kids are covered all day.

Today we had

-1 para sub
    -1 child MOST unhappy with staff change schedule all day
    -both other SPED teachers out at training
    -1 grade level field trip
    -different lunch schedule
    -library closed (of course, it was our day for library)
    -aaaaaaaand just when we had gotten backpacks on to go to recess, it starts to rain. Wah!

I'm pretty good at rolling with the punches, but why do all the punches have to come on the same day?!

People that teach kids with very specific, very intense needs (we're talking cannot ever have eyes taken off for a second) - how have you handled having staff subs? One of these kids I've had for 3 years now, but this year its like there is so much more of the typical autism resistance to change at every.little.thing.

3. stepka

stepka Comrade

Sep 19, 2013

Boy I don't know what to tell you except to "adopt a sub." Meaning that when you get subs that really work out, keep that number and keep them coming and they will over time build some relationship with the kids as well. There really are subs that do great with these kids and I know b/c I was one of them. I'm not saying that in a bragging way but I have a very low-key way about me that even kids with autism deal with very well and I remember I had a teacher tell me that I shouldn't get my feelings hurt if little Rhonda avoided me b/c she didn't do well with new people. But this is the funniest thing--as soon as I met her she flew into my arms and never left my side all day. Find them-cultivate them-and keep their phone number and don't take no for an answer if the office folks tell you that you can't request subs. Yes you can--you're special.