subs - do u have another part time job?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by modgirl, Dec 3, 2008.

1. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

i just started subbing this year - october actually,
    and i was wondering if some of you guys have other part time jobs.
    i just got my multiple subjects credential last november or so and taught at a private school. this year i am subbing -while the pay is good, it's not so good if you are not being called regularly.

i'm sort of in a dilemma...i work retail part time and they've drastically cut hours because of the slowing economy. i'm wondering if i should pick up a full time job and forgo subbing (altho i want to try and pick up a full time teaching job next year). i feel like subbing is a great experience in making connections and getting your foot in the door...but financially it's getting real difficult for me.

what do you guys do? i'm not sure what i should do at the moment.

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 3, 2008

Sub and work at YMCA

You might want to try tutoring part time with Sylvan or Huntington or work in an after school program or daycare and keep subbing. You could try the YMCA.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 3, 2008

You can also work in preschools if you have the early childhood education units. At some preschools, they can hire you as an aide if you have no experience at the start. Then as you accumulate more ECE units and experience, you can advance to being a preschool teacher.

Best wishes!

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 4, 2008

I could say that I do not have another job other than subing but that could not be true. I go to school parttime at night so that is what I concider my 2nd job. I did apply at a clothing store a few mos before thanksgiving and was suppose to be called for an interview (says the general manager to my face) but I was not. I just look @ it this way I have a good job now that I love and do not really need a 2nd job but if God blesses me with one that would be great too! I would enjoy the extra flow of cash! Who else here hates the monthly paycheck of the school system?!