Subs being observed?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Waiting 4 Cert, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Waiting 4 Cert

Waiting 4 Cert Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

Hi all,

I'm new to the site but wanted to share. I'm subbing at one high school at the school's request however lately whenever I'm subbing a member of the administration comes into the room to "observe". The last go around it was the curriculum guy.. he said, we are doing this because we do not think the teachers are leaving you challenging enough material.. we want you to teach to your fullest potential.

I guess that is a compliment? The kids have been telling me lately that they learn more from me as a sub than they do when their regular teacher is there.. weird.

3. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

There's probably nothing to worry about. If anything, I'd take it as a friendly gesture; they're probably looking out for you by making sure the regular teacher is properly prepared for her substitutes.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2006

Our Principal does a walk through all the time and goes through pretty much all the classes regardless who is in them. Nothing personal.

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Oct 23, 2006

Agreed. :)

6. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

Altogether I've subbed nine years and only one principal has ever visited the room to check on me....and he did it every time I was there. I had a full year in one classroom and the principal never visited my room and I know every teacher is supposed to be observed at least once a year in our county.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2006

Our Principal will go into a classroom with a sub just to make sure there aren't any problems they can help her/him with, they have all the information he/she needs (and can locate materials), and the children are responding appropriately. She goes in to check and make sure the sub is taken care of so that he/she can do the job well. She does the same thing when the aides sub. She wants to know if we have what we need. She trusts us. She just needs to know if we are taken care of and were provided for. Very very sweet. She used to be a Kinder teacher and it shows in her demeanor.

That is in additional to spot walk throughs. How can you tell parents you know what is going on if you never see it! :) It was nerve wrecking when I first got hired last year until I realized she wasn't doing formal observations and just checking in.

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 24, 2006

It could also be that the Principal is "scouting" the subs...perhaps the school will need to hire teachers soon. I know of a few principals who have offered their subs interviews after observing them.