Subs are on the cut list

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by SashaBear, Jan 28, 2010.

1. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Our school district has to cut 600,000. This is low considering some of the others in our area. One of the thoughts is to cut subs. Quit hiring subs. Use licensed aides or combine classes for the day are the current options. My sons school does not have licensed aides.

The other regular sub suggested we start looking into some laws about it.

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Where is this??

4. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Last year, we went all of 2nd semester without hiring subs. We combined classes and teachers had to cover for each other during planning periods. It was stressful because you didn't know until the day of that you were going to cover for someone else. I came to school sick a couple times because I felt guilty about calling in, knowing that someone was going to have to give up their planning to cover my class.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2010

Oh dear, I hope this doesn't happen to my district. But if they only keep on a certain amt due to seniority, I'm pretty sure I'm safe! :)

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

Wow - that would be super hard. I know that this can't be the best for the students. I hope that it doesn't come to this with my district! :confused:

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 29, 2010

When I did my student teaching in England, they didn't hire subs... they did a LOT of combining classes, or would split kids and send 2-3 to each classroom with a list of assignments to complete on their own. Sometimes this would happen when the teacher had to be out for a class period or so to go to meeting, otherwise it would be for most of a day. occasionally the headmistress (principal) would come in and teach the class if it was absolutely necessary.

Teaching that way was insane, because NOBODY learned what they should when you have 60 kids in the classroom with 1 teacher!!!

8. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

In our district, if a class has to be split then the teachers who took the extra kids get paid extra for that day, so it wouldn't save the district any money to do that.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 29, 2010

Wow...like kids aren't being short-changed enough....one of the districts where I sub cut teacher in-services to half days. Two teachers have to share one sub and that sub has to deal with two different classes per day. AND they have their RIF'd teachers on priority. I've only subbed once this year at that district.

10. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Jan 30, 2010

I hear one of the ISDs south of Dallas (lancaster?) quit using subs and instead rounded up all the kids with no teacher into the cafeteria or gym. I don't remember if it was admins, teachers, or aides that oversaw the warehousing.

11. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Jan 30, 2010

They have quite using subs for the things such as specialized activities unless its a long-term absence. I had a LTS in music since November that just ended but they do not get regular day to day subs.

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

Oh that sounds so hard on the school as a whole. Maybe they can quit hiring subs for the school year at least. But open up the subs pool for the next school year? Maybe, some subs decide not to work the following year for whatever reason.

13. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jan 30, 2010

Where I am at the biggest school district in the area is only using volunteers for subs. I am glad I didn't end up subbing as a means of income.

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010

Jeez, I guess the kids education and safety comes last. Volunteers? I hope they are fingerprinted and have background checks.

15. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jan 30, 2010

Yeah I am pretty sure they are doing all of that and they are having a class to train them but they are not getting the turn out they were hoping for. Too many people hurting with this economy I guess and can't afford to work for free. I know I can't My state has tended to always put education at the bottom

16. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

California is pretty much operating the same way too. Thanks to our governor.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2010

Realistically, there simply isn't money for the things we used to spend on. Districts, like so many families, are having a hard time making ends meet. So they're doing whatever they can to save a buck.

We've always subbed internally. We have an on-call period each day when we could be called upon to sub anything from cafeteria duty to 6th grade chorus to Physics. The teachers leave an assignment and we spend 38 minutes covering the class of someone else. It's really no big deal for us.

Is it the same thing as having your regular teacher there? Of course not. But it works.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2010

At our school, usually volunteers (we have two-and 1 who is doing her service work from a local university) are pulled to sub, or our special Spanish teachers who meet one-on-one with students.

19. azure

azure Companion

Jan 31, 2010

The only good thing that could come from this is if parents volunteer they can find out how difficult the job is and see the disrespect and defiance of today's kids.

20. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 1, 2010

I totally agree with you azure.