Subject matter authorization and CSET questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ChiliPepper, Jun 14, 2020.

1. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jun 14, 2020

I currently have a preliminary credential in science:chemistry.

I took the first two CSETs in math and a math methods class, and am waiting for my school to recommend me for a prelim credential in foundational level math.

I am taking CSET 219 for Earth and Space Science in two weeks and was wondering...

1) Can I teach Earth and Space upon on passing the CSET? Or do I have to apply for a subject matter authorization after I take the CSET (assuming I have taken the required courses many moons ago) in order to teach it?

2) For the math credential mentioned above, does it show up as another credential or an authorization to the science credential? Just wondering what it looks like when employers look it up.

3) Any idea how long it takes for a credential to post when a university recommends you rather than applying yourself?

Thanks all!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 14, 2020

I have several authorizations that are all listed on my current credential. The CTC needs to add it, so once you pass, apply for the additional authorizations and they will be added. I applied for some jobs that required full math before the paperwork had processed, and no one seemed worried about it, but HR would have gotten involved before they gave me a job I did not have the correct authorizations for. I think I wrote (in progress) on my resume next to the specific additional subjects that hadn't processed yet. My district took care of the paperwork and, if I recall correctly, the fees, for the last authorization I added. The CTC's website states they are currently processing applications submitted before April 2, 2020. My vague recollection is that it took less time to add authorizations then to process the initial credential, but I don't recall any specific time frames, and with Covid-19, I just don't know how that is impacting the process.

4. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 3, 2020

Thank you.