Subject area ela 6-12 written

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Jess P, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Jess P

Jess P New Member

Oct 1, 2019

Hello,

I have until 6/20 to meet all necessary requirements for my professional teaching certificate. I am an ELA 6-12 teacher and have never failed any of the required tests, let alone any written portion. Unfortunately, I scored a 6 which is shocking. I am contesting this score and am waiting for a response. Regardless, I will need to retake the written portion again. Would someone please help me with any and all information you can share? They no longer give you 2 choices (CONTESTING THIS AS WELL). I did not have an opportunity to choose poetry as there was only one excerpt taken from a well-known novel. Thank you.

3. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Oct 1, 2019

So, you were only prepared for poetry? I understand wanting a choice, however, in an ELA classroom, you will be teaching multiple items, especially novels, and I can understand why they would expect a prosepctive ELA teacher to write about whatever was given to them. First, I think contesting is wrong--from my perspective, it looks like someone who wasn't prepared for the test and then complains that they failed. Writing for these tests is pretty standard, regardless of poetry, drama, novel, etc, so if you could write about poetry, why can you not write about a novel, especially if the excerpt was provided to you. And if it was was well-known, I guess the assumption is that a prospective ELA teacher would have read it. I would study again, and prepare to write whatever comes your way.

4. Jess P

Jess P New Member

Oct 1, 2019

My concern was not being given the choice. I’m contesting the fact that nowhere on the website did the department stare the requirements had changed.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2019

OP, is it costing you to contest the score? I hope not, because, generally, that is like throwing good money away. Fortunately, you have time to reset your mentality towards the test, realizing that you won't be given a choice. It might be worth asking whether there are multiple versions of the test (I would expect that to be the norm), some using poetry, others using passages from novels, that are randomly assigned. That information would let you know if you need to be prepared for either, even if you have no choice in selecting one over the other. I'm sorry that this has thrown you for a loop, but you took the test with enough time remaining that you should not be in any kind of panic mode.

What test are you taking? It wasn't specified in the thread title.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2019

Having the score verified can lead to a change in the result, and procedural error does account for one of the few cases I've heard of in which a challenge succeeded - but that success is vanishingly rare.

vickilyn, I think this might be one of Florida's tests.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2019

Thank you - I wasn't sure what state this was for.

8. Jess P

Jess P New Member

Oct 17, 2019

I am taking the essay portion of the FTCE SAE ELA 6-12
    Has anyone taken the essay within the last month?